DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Creating a pseudo contiguous poured basement floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

You don't want to run flood water to sewer system or septic tank? You would want a floor drain for a hot water tank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM  
TheIcehouse1809

I don't think I want a sump pump. I lean toward old school solutions. Too much development in too small an area creates a flood problem for the lower district...I don't want to just pass the problem along by sending it to a sewer. And the floods are flash floods. If I build for drainage properly, it should seep into soil rather than run it straight away. Sorry, I know I'm a bit weird here and there. My goal is to create a healthy livable space that can withstand the occasional flood.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

All that makes sense but in a flash flood I would think any feild you have set up for disapating the water will it's self be full of water and then you would have no advantage.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIcehouse1809 View Post
I don't think I want a sump pump. I lean toward old school solutions. Too much development in too small an area creates a flood problem for the lower district...I don't want to just pass the problem along by sending it to a sewer. And the floods are flash floods. If I build for drainage properly, it should seep into soil rather than run it straight away. Sorry, I know I'm a bit weird here and there. My goal is to create a healthy livable space that can withstand the occasional flood.
I like that you are trying to mitigate the flood water instead of just passing it on. Is the stream/creek the lowest point on your property? Because if it is, then no matter what you do with the water it will find it's way back to the stream. You would have to create a large porous field to capture some of the water, or dig yourself a pond. Be careful that the surface water will not affect your well.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM  
TheIcehouse1809

Yes, the stream is the northern line of the property. I've lost more than 10' of land to storm water drainage. But that's another project in itself.
The southern end of the property borders a national road that is probably 15' or more above average stream level. Flood waters have come from both the east (river) and the west (storm water drains), but they will always drain to the NE corner of my property.
I was thinking of putting a concrete form utility floor sink in the NE corner of the basement, where a drain could help move things along. But I also like the floor = door sill solution. I may rock both, unless having a drain from indoors to out would present a problem. I'd rather not drain it to sewer, but recognize code may prevent a direct drain.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 331 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 110

It almost sounds like you need an earthen levy or berm of sorts to send the water around your house. It’s honorable that you see the need for collection and retention of these flood waters but you didn’t make the problem you are in the path of it. The overdevelopment should have never been allowed uphill from you without a plan for the runoff water to be slowed and controlled. Sometimes a problem is bigger than the homeowner. Personally I had a similar problem once and it required a neighbor to do some work on his property that he had changed and caused a problem on mine with water. When he was reluctant to do anything I had no choice but to get the township involved at the sight of them he corrected his problem. I would look at this two ways one is protect my property and secondly look for help from the powers in charge to find the correct fix on the big scale. It sounds like its been going on and getting worse for a long time. I can see living with a wet area on one corner of your property part of the year but water coming in and out of the house is not acceptable. I don’t know the lay of your land but if it took a dozer and moving some land around I would at least threaten to do that and see what the county would say.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Up here we have protected farm land in the valley so the cities allowed devopement on the hills and mountains and run off was all over the feilds until a bunch of farmers sued one city and now all the cities have retention ponds. You can have a drain in the floor to the outside but best would be a plastic sump that is made just for that. If you want to keep criters out you put a trap on the drain and a primer to keep the water level up.

Quick Reply