DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Crumbling/cracking problem with new driveway

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrlok View Post
Well, after about a month of playing phone tag and getting ignored, I got fed up and filed complaints against the company with BBB and AngiesList. I got his response to the BBB complaint today - he's sticking to the magnesium chloride excuse and will not admit any fault, and is refusing to replace or repair the concrete or refund any money.

He described the problem as "a few small areas of surface decomposition" and claimed that he had come to the house and inspected it. If he did, I sure never saw him, and I'm home most of the time.

I comforted myself a bit by posting my photos to the Angie's List review. No response from the Angie's List people yet. I am feeling pretty helpless and angry and don't really know what to do next. If I could prove through some kind of independent analysis that the concrete failed and salt wasn't the problem it might help, but I don't know how to find a company that does that kind of thing for residential properties and probably couldn't afford it anyway.
Is this co. a license contractor. , then call the inspector at your building agency. If he got a permit or didn't get a permit If he did not do it right then its the inspector job to go after him. He will have to make it right or lose his license.
If you had some one do the job that is not licensed or insured, then that was poor judgment on your part. Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM  
Myrlok

As far as I can tell from my city's building department website, this type of project doesn't require a permit, so I don't know if the inspector would be interested. The company is licensed and insured, unless their website is lying.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrlok View Post
As far as I can tell from my city's building department website, this type of project doesn't require a permit, so I don't know if the inspector would be interested. The company is licensed and insured, unless their website is lying.
When a customer puts in a complaint it doesn't make any difference if the inspector is interested or not its his job. Paul

Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 102 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's not his job to inspect something that dos not require a permit or an inspection. I have not heard of a drive ever requiring an inspection.

That is not damage from salt. That is complete concrete failure. Have you tried contacting the actual concrete supplier?They might send someone out to have a look.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM  
Peipei9

Wow with a picture like that, you should go straight to lawsuit.

I do not know where you live, but in my state, I was able to file a lawsuit under $10000.00 pro-se (without lawyer) and won $8000.00 from a former client who owed me money.

It cost me about $300 in various filings and fees, but the value of seeing the deadbeat client show up in court over the threat of arrest was pretty sweet.

Collect your paperwork, take pictures, get an 'expert' who can attest that this is shoddy work (a couple of other licensed contractors will do) and make yourself a lawsuit.

It is not for everyone. I am a very smart guy, and it can be a very confusing process, but it can work.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I would file a complaint with your states contractor licensing board. It would be worth a call to see if they can champion your cause. Or try your local TV station, they love human interest stories like this.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

I'll repeat my earlier suggestion, and say that you need to file a complaint in your local Small Claims Court--sooner the better. In addition to the photos you already have, you will need written quotes from licensed contractors, covering both the removal of the junk concrete and its complete replacement. Your case will carry much more weight if the contractor did not give you specific written instructions for sealing the concrete; you need to make that a point in your Court argument.

I'm still a licensed P.E. in Colorado, and have performed literally thousands of inspections of concrete structures in dozens of states in the last 40+ years. In my professional opinion, your concrete failure is not a result of not sealing the surface. PM me if you want additional information and suggestions.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:27 PM  
Lynhira

Send a message via Yahoo to Lynhira

I would get expert testimony on how long concrete should withstand the elements in your area and exactly what went wrong with this company's work and take him to small claims court, based the price you paid for this company's work. Small claims is very easy and not hard to file and he just might change his tune once he gets a summons that he is being sued.

Quick Reply