DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Driveway Drainage Before Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 PM  
1victorianfarmhouse

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Driveway Drainage Before Garage

Not sure where to put this, but since it deals with concrete and asphalt, this might be the best place.

My neighbor and I share a garage that straddles the property line. It's because her house was the original barn for my property, and it was turned sideways and converted into a two-flat when the owner decided he wanted to have some rental income. Then he built a garage between the two houses. He later decided to separate the two properties, and the property line was drawn between the two houses, through the middle of the garage. That was back a few decades.

Now there are two garage doors on each side, a common area, and each side has a separate driveway about 90' long that goes to the street. The driveway was put in about 7-8 years ago and now needs to be sealcoated.

But in addition to that, there is another issue that we have. The half of the driveway closest to the garage is inclined down a bit. With heavy rain, some water seeps into the garage, mostly on her side. There is some drainage, but it's not great. But in winter it gets worse. Ice and snow melt end up at the entrance to the garage, and seep in. Both our garage doors were frozen solid for a while last winter, and she had a good 6" of ice built up IN her side of the garage. I had about half an inch. Obviously, we're not parking our vehicles in the garage regularly.

We're trying to figure out how to deal with the water/ice build-up at the entrance of the garage. Cutting the asphalt and building a drainage trench is one idea that has some up. But I'm wondering if some of the more knowledgeable guys here have some better suggestions?

Picture shows the entrance of the garage that gets filled with ice and water, mostly during winter.

Of course, thanks to the usual suspects, Neal, Bridge, etc. for any comments of suggestions...

vince

File Type: jpg Front of Garage.jpg (79.7 KB, 25 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:26 AM  
nealtw

Liked 687 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Any time we have a garage below street level, a drain has to be installed. Plastic snap together parts with a drain on one end set in concrete.
http://www.pvcbuildingproducts.co.uk/driveway-drainage--ground-guard-13-c.asp

File Type: jpg iron-age-designs_792.jpg (41.6 KB, 25 views)

Old 06-18-2014, 04:34 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 327 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Is there a gutter that runs along the eave over the garage door?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 149 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1victorianfarmhouse View Post
Both our garage doors were frozen solid for a while last winter,
Not an optimum solution, but maybe install heater strips?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 PM  
1victorianfarmhouse

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

@ OldDog,

Yes, there is a gutter that runs along the eve and drains on the sides. Now that you mention it, the gutter has a screen on it that keeps out the leaves and seeds from the trees in back. I wouldn't be surprised if the gutter gets covered in snow during the winter and allows rain/moisture to run right down to the driveway.

@ Wuzzat,

That is a good idea with the heater strips, but I know my side of the garage doesn't have any electricity to it. Hmmm, maybe that's what that orange extension cord I've found buried along the fence was for....but it wasn't connected to anything.

And Neal, thanks for the more elegant solution to the trench I mentioned. I'm wondering how this would work at managing the water/ice that tends to collect in that area, or if it would freeze up and get clogged? Now to find one available in the US.

Thanks!

Vince

Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 AM  
nealtw

Liked 687 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Not cheap if you need 6 or 8 per driveway, then you still need to pipe away the water to else about.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tuf-Tite-36-in-Trench-Drain-with-Gray-Grate-TR1-GRAY/203463476
They used to tie this in with the weeping system, now they run it with the downspouts, solid pipe.

Quick Reply