DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Driveway Resurfacing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM  
junkyarddog

Default Driveway

To fix the problem for good, tear out and repour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 AM  
HauteShots

I had about 10 different contractors come in and look and estimate and to do the job correctly it has to be grinded off and repoured. Since the skim coat is made to stick good to the base below it will most likely be damaged. This doesnt mean that we need to repoor the entire driveway we can just repour the skim coat. However, I think that the solution I'm leaning towards is epoxy mixed with pebble stone which looks like this:

It has to resealed every 3 years but I like it better then the refaced concrete. I have always decided to go after the previous home owner and possible the title company for failing to disclose the pending violations during closing. It can easily be argued that I might not have purchased the property or I would have degotiated a lower price for the home if I was aware that the driveway had to be fixed in order to satisfy the HOA.

I will keep you updated!

Joe

Joey Vegas

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM  
TheMcs

Your overlay is cracking (obviously) and failing.

I don't like acid stain on concrete, it requires resealing on a regular basis (which wasn't done to yours, or it wouldn't be faded) and the sealing makes it slick. If you remove the overlay and try to stain the actual pad, you'd better know the composition of the concrete or you might get some chemical reaction surprises (fly ash will turn any color black, etc.).

If you do go with another overlay, make sure they remove the old one first. Then do as suggested above and go with a dyed concrete (color mixed into the concrete mix). The color is throughout, so gouges and wear won't affect it. You shouldn't have to seal it either. You can have it trowelled smooth or have a stamp pattern done.

Epoxy stone overlay is hardy stuff, this I have 17 years experience with. I love the product and it will withstand driveway use, but you'd better stay on top of the maintenance. It will have to be powerwashed and resealed (another epoxy coating) every 2-5 years depending on wear. Around here install (not including removal of your overlay, which is necessary) runs about $4.50sf, resealing is $0.60sf and powerwashing is extra.

Straight epoxy coating is good as long as it's given some texture. If not it will be slick as snot. Again, you'll have to remove the overlay. Some serious cleaning/degreasing of the base slab will have to be done to prep.

Best of luck in choosing your solution.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM  
TheMcs

Looks like we posted at the same time. Let me know if you have an questions on the spoxy stone, as I said I've got a lot of experience with it. I quit installing it a few years ago but still have some maintenance accounts. We also used to manufacture the epoxy and sell it worldwide, let me know if you need an installation reference.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM  
HauteShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMcs View Post
Your overlay is cracking (obviously) and failing.

Epoxy stone overlay is hardy stuff, this I have 17 years experience with. I love the product and it will withstand driveway use, but you'd better stay on top of the maintenance. It will have to be powerwashed and resealed (another epoxy coating) every 2-5 years depending on wear. Around here install (not including removal of your overlay, which is necessary) runs about $4.50sf, resealing is $0.60sf and powerwashing is extra.
I understand the pebble stone coating needs maintenance every few years but if we removed the skim coat and repoured a new layer would this not also need maintenance as well? Hence, it was not maintained before I purchased the house and possible the reason that it is in such bad shape having only been refaced 4 years ago...

Joey Vegas

Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM  
TheMcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteShots View Post
if we removed the skim coat and repoured a new layer would this not also need maintenance as well? Hence, it was not maintained before I purchased the house and possible the reason that it is in such bad shape having only been refaced 4 years ago...

If I am seeing this right, #1 is your overlay and #2 is your actual driveway.
Remove the overlay completely, then thoroughly clean the driveway. The epoxy stone does not need any additional overlay, other than itself. (there is no other overlay maintenance)

The pebble stone is mixed with the epoxy resin, then poured onto the driveway (we did 35sf at a time) and hand trowelled. The excess epoxy in the mixture migrates to the driveway surface and forms the bond. Some installers prefer to also roll on a coat of epoxy prior to pouring the mixture, but I've found this messy and unnecessary.

The epoxy needs a temp of about 60F in order to be workable and allow it to migrate to the driveway surface. In colder weather we're able to manipulate this a bit by heating the epoxy, but that can only overcome so much. I'd advise against installation in temps below 45F and that's pushing it. Doing otherwise and you'll see the epoxy stone delaminate and fail.

To get a leg up on maintenance, I'd advise your first reseal after year one. It's not necessary but the best long term success I've seen was done this way. Powerwash (lightly, my 3800psi can remove stone when right up on it) and roll a mixture of the same epoxy over the clean and dry surface. After that you've likely got another 4-5 years before it needs any more. Keep up on powerwashing, once a year is fine, to avoid accumulation in the areas between the pebbles.

You can reseal yourself, it's not hard, but does take some finesse. You'll have a limited amount of work time with the epoxy. Straight epoxy (not mixed with rock) can set up in about 15 minutes on a hot day (90F+) whereas you've got about 30 minutes when it's in the 70s. It might be worth it to hire this out to the installers the first time, just watch and learn. You can buy the epoxy from them the next time. DO NOT buy any of the reseal junk at a box store or paint store, it is not intended for epoxy stone regardless of what the label says.

How long is your HOA giving you to get this done? Late March is usually the soonest I've been able to begin installations, other than the occasional fluke warm day (I did one on Jan 3rd one year).

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM  
TheMcs

Just thought of a couple more things to help out;

If you're driveway underneath moves (cracks), the epoxy stone will crack with it given enough movement. From what I can see this shouldn't be a concern since all you have are stress cracks in the overlay. If it does crack, it's repairable. The crack is chiseled out, new epoxy stone patched in. Depending on the age of the original epoxy stone, it may take time to blend in (think new picket in an old fence).

The edges along your yard normally see the most wear. Since you've got gravel and not grass you don't have to worry about edgers, but it is still the weak spot. We've overcome this by using the thin metal garden edging. Installed along the edges first, higher than the drive, it provides a form for the installation as well as a permanent edge guard.

I'm sure more will cross my mind, and feel free to ask any questions. It's off season here now so I've got my winter brain clicked on. Might take me a bit to think of everything.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Your driveway has already failed and temporary patches may look good in show-room ads, but they will not last because they are applied over a poor, failed surface that will cause very early failure of the surface band-aid. That concrete probably was patched and cover enough to make it last longer than it would in more severe climates.

Tear it out, compact or replace the base and then pour a new slab. In most areas a good concrete supplier can supply a standard mix on call (often called a McDonalds mix) since the materials are readily available that is very durable and works for many applications. - Not too coarse, but some good local color hues.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM  
TheMcs

From what I can tell in the pictures, only the current overlay has failed, not the driveway itself. Given that only the overlay needs to be removed at which time the driveway can be assessed. Another overlay on a sound driveway would be just fine given sufficient prep.

If I'm wrong then I agree with mudmixer.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM  
Jamie_ada

You could try to remove the overlay by putting saw cuts in it and then jackhammering it off this will damage the existing slab though you can have it resurfaced with a stencil spray - on which would only need resealed once every few years dont know what the price in the usa is, in australia its about $40sqm for basic pattern on decent slab to work with
Decorative Concrete Resurafacing Gold Coast Brisbane

Quick Reply