DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > ? epoxy agg or decorative concrete over existing concrete - seeking advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM  
mmrradd

Default ? epoxy agg or decorative concrete over existing concrete - seeking advice

I live in Morrison, Colorado. Have existing ~ 600 sq ft concrete patio. Considering resurfacing - either exposed porous epoxy aggregate or a stamped concrete. Hoping not to remove existing concrete. Tough environment and want tough, minimal maintenance finish. Temperature ranges from -10 to very sunny 100 degrees.

Advice? Is an aggregate gonna stand up? Is stamped decorative concrete clearly tougher and lower maintenance?

thanks in advance. Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 05:09 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Mark:
I would want an epoxy binder used and then add at least 2" of concrete of either kind. Either one will have a tendency to hide any cracks that may appear.
Glenn

Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 AM  
yesitsconcrete

i don't know of any epoxy that's suitable for exterior use,,, resurfacing w/polymer-modified cement conc is our main work & we never use epoxies of any type outside.

colorado's not a particularly harsh environment for conc,,, if it were, there wouldn't be so much of it used for harsh, try 40degree swings in 12hrs when the conc'll be poppin' back & forth in size,,, knowing the trade, i'd opt for resurfacing OR acid-stain & seal,,,

typically you'll use 3,000 to 3,500 psi conc while the avg o'lay mtl's 5,000+,,, aggregate's stone so that's not an issue,,, stamp'd dec conc isn't 'clearly tougher OR lower maint',,, then again, its your home !

good luck !

ps - glenn suggests an epoxy-bond'd conc overlay,,, that is an acceptable method however any crks in the original conc will usually reflect in the upper course.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 PM  
jimmy50

Default Decorative concrete

Can be made into a design you so chose. I am not sure about the epoxy. If the epoxy cracks afterward it may not show up as much as a crack in the decorative. Unless your installer can fix the crack without it showing up in the decorative concrete. Ask questions.

Tags
aggregate, concrete refinish, decorative concrete, epoxy aggregate

Quick Reply