DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Exposed Block Foundation Cracks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM  
GeoffM

Default Exposed Block Foundation Cracks

Corner of foundation with attached garage to the left of it. What started to look like small settling cracks seems like more.

This wall was covered by a raised garden, including areas without waterproofing. I haven't dug all the way down. I'm thinking the water run off caused a disturbance under the corner.

Potential major job or a DIY?

image-3930654149.jpg   image-779749153.jpg   image-2483594827.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM  
GeoffM

I used a couple tubes of Quikrete Mortar Repair for now to keep the moisture and creepy crawlies out. It should hold until I can have it investigated further.

I dug down another 3 courses below grade and haven't hit the footings yet. How much further down do you think they could be? I don't want to disturb more soil than I have to.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM  
JoeD

Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

They should be below frost line. That could be four feet in some areas.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM  
mudmixer

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Could there have been an addition? - Could be some long term differential settlement.

The crack pattern was quite obvious despite all the coats of paint, but the were a few jogs that did not match where the mortar joints should have been, but it could have been built that way.

Dick

Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 PM  
GeoffM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
They should be below frost line. That could be four feet in some areas.
I finally found the right part of the local building code and the minimum foundation depth is 3'11". I'll go another foot tomorrow and check out that corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmixer View Post
Could there have been an addition? - Could be some long term differential settlement.

The crack pattern was quite obvious despite all the coats of paint, but the were a few jogs that did not match where the mortar joints should have been, but it could have been built that way.

Dick
The cracks were obvious when I first pulled the metal siding off but not as pronounced until I hit them with a wire brush. Chunks of the original mortar fell out and it was a little wider than 1/4". They filled in pretty good. I plan on digging down around the whole house and parging all the block as well.

It was built in the '70s and then later the garage was added (originally just a car 'port'). With some of the things I've been finding, who knows what was done before.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM  
nealtw

Liked 682 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

The front of the garage floor will probably not have a foundation under and no protection from frost. Some smat people tie that floor to the wall beside it and as the floor works up and down with frost or just water it can or will damage the wall.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 PM  
BobAristide
Faux stone panels

How long did it take to show the cracks? It looks like the top part was always visible. I ask because if it just happened I'd wait before trying to fill the cracks, as it may get bigger.

http://www.anticoelements.com

Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM  
GeoffM

I think the cracks have been there for a while, it was covered in metal siding by a previous owner.

Quick Reply