DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Exterior brick repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 AM  
patricko

Likes Given: 1

Default Exterior brick repair

Hey guys, new here and had a quick question about brick repair.
I've got an exterior wall on a house that is only 5 years old and noticed this winter that an exhaust vent was too close to the wall (which I've now moved) and has caused the facing of the bricks to flake off, I've attached an image.

I didn't notice any damage until this year, but I imagine it's from the cold temperatures and constant moisture on the bricks that was coming from this vent, as some ice had frozen on the wall there. I'd like to know what the best way to repair the few bricks would be to a) keep them from any further damage and b) keep them looking close to the color of the rest of the bricks. Thanks for your help.

brik-damage.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM  
JoeD

Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

You can not repair bricks. Either pressure wash them (to get the water stains off) and leave as is or cut out the damaged bricks and replace them.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM  
patricko

Likes Given: 1

Thanks JeoD. Where they look stained, the facing has kind of chipped/crumbled off. If I pressure washed, should I do anything afterwards to seal them or anything to prevent further deterioration? I thought I read somewhere not to pressure wash brick, but to use a cleaner and spray with a regular hose, not sure if that's true or not.

Last edited by patricko; 03-08-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM  
nealtw

Liked 659 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

They have like absorbed to much moisture and froozen damaging the outside surface, finding replacement might be tricky.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM  
mudmixer

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Those brick were never intended to be pristine in the first place and have a wide range of colors and textures and were chosen for that. I think you are seeing some moisture on the faces that bring out the real colors. None of those type of brick did not have real regular outer face when new.

You are seeing moisture on the brick due to wet, moist air coming from the vent and condensing from the brick.

The recommendations about not power washing are meant for the "bull in the woods" brute force people. Actually it is to preserve the mortar, which is weaker.

You can wash, but do not use too much pressure or the wrong nozzle.

Dick

Quick Reply