DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Exterior Brick Waterproofing Sealant

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM  
ccober

It depends on the type of brick. I have clay bricks, and the two sides of my house don't have much overhang. As a result, the sides of the house get wet a lot, and when clay bricks get wet and then the water freezes, they get "spalling". Progressively larger pieces of the brick flake off -- every spring I have flakes of brick on my driveway, and some bricks have lost as much as an inch of their surface.

I'm replacing about a dozen bricks on one side of the house right now, and when it's done I'm definitely applying a sealer to the two side walls that get wet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Unfortunately some brick are not classified as being durable for severe conditions and will spall when saturated (or nearly so) and freeze.

Freezing causes interior pressure that must be released or the material can spall. A proper sealer for bricks does not allow the liquid form of water through, but will allow the vapor form of moisture through. A good/perfect 100% waterproofer can cause spalling because water can always enter a chimney either from above, through a bad joint of from condensation and temperature differentials.

There are many acceptible products, but usually not from a big box store with a handout written by salesman or a cute little girl in the main office.

Dick

Last edited by mudmixer; 09-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

And don't forget, Dick, that sometimes that "cute little girl in the main office" can be ugly as sin, and weigh 350 lb.

I shouldn't talk, as my beer belly is protruding to the point that my belt buckle is almost invisible. Bought my first pair of suspenders a while back. And I haven't won a single beauty contest since joining life on this planet almost 70 years ago, either.

Quick Reply