DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Fieldstone foundation problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM  
barbe4

Default Fieldstone foundation problems

I just gone thru another flooded basement. The street and side yard of my house flooded during a 6" flash flood. The water has been pumped out of my basement and its time to access the damage. The last time this happened I noticed small holes through the field stone foundation. This time there appears to be many more and larger gaps where the mortar has washed away.
The cellar walls are exposed field stone and the outside has been "parged" although the material broken off in many locations.
What product is used to seal gaps in old fieldstone foundations? If it's hydraulic cement, how is it applied? Is there a product apllied with a caulking gun. Something that expands to seal the gap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Water will find its way thru anything unless it is sealed from the outside.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Maybe it's time to consider a more permanent repair than "parging." If it were my basement, I'd first consider doing any (and every) thing possible to keep the water away from the house's foundation, including regrading the yard if necessary, extending rain gutter downspouts, etc. If cost is no concern and you've already done those things, then you might give serious thought to doing a local search for an established basement water-proofer. If that doesn't work, another option would be to pay a good concrete contractor to excavate, form and pour a bonded concrete wall on the outside of your field stone foundation. A thickness of 6" would enable a heavy mesh reinforcement, to minimize the effects of any random cracks that might occur. Sealing the new concrete outside with bitumen or the fancier plastic bubble stuff, and backfilling with pea gravel, would be the finishing step.

Get a few quotes, and make sure whoever you select to do any work removes all dirt and loose mortar (water-blasting works well) before setting his forms and placing concrete, or installing any other kind of sealing system.

Quick Reply