DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Filling Cracks in Concrete Walls

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM  
1victorianfarmhouse

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Filling Cracks in Concrete Walls

100+ years ago, my house had a well in back that was housed in a large concrete enclosure below ground level. The entire enclosure is still there, with the old well head, but that well stopped producing many years ago.

I would like to put the concrete enclosure to modern use as a cistern to catch gutter drain off water. The problem is that the enclosure has a few horizontal cracks that go almost completely around and allow rainwater in when it rains. The cracks are not wide, but are about 3-4 feet below ground level.

Are there any particularly good hydraulic caulk or epoxy/cement products I would be able to use to fill there cracks?

Thanks,

vince

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

emecole is a fairly diy-friendly company who produces a hydrophyllic polyurethane grout good for your use,,, no financial interest,,, not cheap for the right solution to your problem

Old 10-09-2010, 11:22 PM  
1victorianfarmhouse

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was looking for, as the guys at the the hardware and big box stores are helpful, but only have experience with the items at the store, if at all. I'll check it out.

vince

Old 10-10-2010, 03:33 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm not a pro fan of apron stores,,, after 38yrs of const exp, you tend to wince when overhearing ' helpful ' conversations that will be useless in the end if those methods/materials are used,,, however, when i'm OUtside my areas of expertise, i have found a couple guys working there who are retired from their trades instead of being a former stockbroker assigned to the plumbing section,,, you could also try hydraulic cement & see if that works - you have the advantage of actually SEEING the problem !

Quick Reply