DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Foundation problems or settling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 PM  
radius

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I would like to know how it is attached to the house.
How do i find this out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 AM  
radius

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
The part of your post that’s “unsettling” pun intended, is the time line. The house was built in 2002 and sold in 2013. Ten plus years without a crack and then cracks show up in different locations within 3 months of the sale.

Did you have a home inspection before the sale? Was any repair to mortar noted? Could you have not seen them at purchase and just saw them 3 months later? In looking at your photos if the cracks were surface patched just to get the house sold they did a good job as I can’t see any difference in shade etc.

Unless you can tell us there was an earthquake or rapid freeze or something that happened 3 months after you bought it, my deductive reasoning tells me they have been there a long time and patched over for the sale. If you could get a brick out maybe you could get a clue as to when it happened. If it was covered up you may have a case against the seller.

Just my thoughts from across the country.
Yes, there was a home inspection. I've sent inspector copy of these photos to review.

We haven't had any earthquake but it has been very cold lately. How do I get a brick out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 837 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
How do i find this out?
Not really a good answer for that one. I am not an expert so any ideas should be taken for what they are worth.
Usually the house is protected with a house wrap like Tyvek and a then the bricks are applied with some distance to the house with metal ties to the house,which allow the house to move a little, they also leave weep holes for water to drain out near the bottom of the wall and above doors and windows.

My fear here is they treated the brick like it was artificial stone and put wire against the house and a scratch coat, attaching the brick to the house. So when thing expand and contract, something has to give.

Just the fact that the window sills don't have a slope says this was not done by a pro.

If you have access to the attic in the garage you might remove a small peice of sheeting from the inside so you could see how the brick is attached.

Quick Reply