DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > gas fire place redoing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 267 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Don't go there . . . do it right and be done with it. Close it up and roast marshmallows.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Villa really wants to watch TV. Flat screen TVs are incredibly light, wall brackets to hang one inside a cabinet are inexpensive, but get your power and cable in before you get backer board up.

if you didn't get a permit B4 starting don't get an official inspection. You may find that you should have gotten a permit and now have to pay permit fee plus penalty.

Your insurance company may provide a general home safety inspection of your property. Call and ask. Possibly rates could go up if they don't like the fire place.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by notmrjohn; 10-16-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

I always wonder about a TV over a fireplace, the heat thing. But everyone is doing it.
One trick is to use vacuum pipe to run a chace from the back of the mantle to the side of the box. For cables and such.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 267 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Well, the cool thing is a flat screen over the mantle ... so here is what I did in one house....

1. Cut into wall and ran power with a properly positioned outlet using closest receptacle for the feed.
2. Making sure I had at least 6" separation from the AC ROMEX, I ran TWO HDMI cables to the niche where the electronics were to be located. NEVER run comunication cable paralle and in close proximity to AC power ... it can cause picture and sound distortion. If you have to cross the cables, do so on a perpendicular.
3. Fortunately, the wall studs were well located, so attaching the TV bracket was easy. Absent the proper location, a 2x6 horizontal nailer is the best bet.
4. As to heat .... The fireplace surround was a zero clearance model so there was no need for an add-on chase. I simply stapled the ROMEX to the studs and used cable staples for the HDMI (they do not crimp).
5. Fixing and texturing the drywall finished the job.

Everything turned out excellent! GOOD LUCK

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
Well, the cool thing is a flat screen over the mantle ... so here is what I did in one house....
Everything turned out excellent! GOOD LUCK
Question are those niches up high for speakers?

IS that man made rock?

Very nice design work there!

Wife: "You can buy anything you want when you redo this house."

Husband: "Could I get that in writing, dear?"

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Reviving this thread after a while on idle!

I am about to cap the metal stud box I built for the future mantel. Its getting mildly cold here in Montreal in the morning so Ive decided to prep the fireplace for upcoming winter by cleaning it with a Vacuum, etc... I have never used the fireplace since I moved in (almost 2 years ago) but I knew it was working because when I purchased the house, the previous owner had it on. Also, there are signs of usage..

One day, I started the pilot light around noon, waited for a few minutes to make sure everything was fine and stable, then I left the house. I came back around 4pm. When I entered the house, I was greeted by a mild (not so strong but very noticeable) smell of what appeared to be natural gas. I immediately shut off the pilot and closed the main yellow gas valve. I opened all windows and patio doors to evacuate the smell as soon as possible. The smell seemed to come out of the top louver. I smelled inside the bottom cavity where the "equipment" is located (gas valves, thermocouple, pilot valve, etc) but nothing there. Nothing behind the fireplace, and nothing inside the walls.

I then called a gas appliance technician and booked a service call. He came a few days later to look at the fireplace but didn't find anything wrong. He brought a natural gas detector with him (sniffer) but the device didn't register anything (literally 0ppm). To him, the smell coming out of the top louver is not natural gas. To me, whats coming out of the louver smells like garlic or maybe like moly grease.. Difficult to explain but it doesn't smell like burning dust or heat at all...

He did a thorough cleanup and tested everything. He even used a BBQ lighter to find out if there were gas leaks anywhere in the equipment. According to him, its totally safe to do so, since there are no oxygen in the gas line, as well as the gas pressure forces the flame out, so no chance of fire returning to the main or exploding.. I am not convinced... I must say, I was on "alert"

Anyways, after about half hour looking at the fireplace, he admitted that he couldn't find anything. Other thing he said, there would be no chance of some gas not burning inside the firebox as the pilot flame would burn any residual gas.. The only chance for natural gas to leak and be smelled is from the control equipment and gas pipes at the bottom of the fireplace where there are no flame to burn the gas, but then we would smell it coming from there..

I noticed that when the fireplace was really running (real flames) the "gas" smell seemed to considerably reduce... Almost to nothing. The tech had some gas vented on purpose to have me confirm it was what I smelled. It was, but much stronger.

I has a few people coming over and they confirmed they can smell something like natural gas. According to the tech, it is absolutely safe to use the appliance. So I tried to leave the pilot on for a few days, and purchased a good natural gas+CO detector and installed it right on top of the fireplace. It didnt register anything.

Long story short:

Gas-like smells coming out of top louver ONLY when on pilot
Sniffers and detectors not reading anything
No gas smell when real flames
No apparent or detectable leaks anywhere
Abnormal smell confirmed by several people (including neighbors having the exact same appliance confirming my fireplace release a smell that theirs dont)

What next????? Everything seems to contradict. I must admit, I am clueless... Should I rely on equipment or my (our) nose(s)?

Last edited by condoowner; 10-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 PM  
nealtw

Just a guess but when you have a full flame the draft takes the gasses up the chimney. When you just have a pilot light maybe there isn't enough draft or something else is drawing air. Try leaving a window open near the fireplace and see if that make a difference.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Just a guess but when you have a full flame the draft takes the gasses up the chimney. When you just have a pilot light maybe there isn't enough draft or something else is drawing air. Try leaving a window open near the fireplace and see if that make a difference.

The draft takes the gasses up the chimney? The firebox shouldn't be fully isolated from the outside of the fireplace? By gasses, do you mean carbon monoxide and other combustion gasses???? These are fatal and extremely dangerous..

CO detectors have not picked up anything either... I stuck the explosive gasses ensor and CO sensor right on the louver where the smells comes from , none have picked up anything..

Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM  
nealtw

By gasses I ment anything that is intended to go up the chimney. They add the smell to nat gas and maybe it is heavier than other products that do go up the chimney. Like I said, I am guessing, take it for what its worth.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

OK back to this thread for a while now!

The smell issue is mostly gone now. I am thinking, since the fireplace has been functioning automatically for a few weeks now, that the heat must have helped the gaskets of the two top traps to replace and stopped whatever pinhole leak may have been present... Who knows. Anyway for me its case closed until I smell something again.

Ive got 2 gas nmonitors on each side of the fireplace, so if there's something harmfull, they will warn me.

Now to the other questions:

I am ready to cap the fireplace box with the metal studs I have installed last winter... The box is very strong as I was careful to build it properly. Now I need to cap the box, and having access to cheap Durock panels, I am leaning toward concrete boards to cap the fireplace.

Ive never worked with these before, but worked with hundreds of drywall panels...

Other than special screws:

Do I need to predrill in the cement boards?

How spaced the screws should be? Like every 8 or 10 inch?
Do I need to finish the corners like drywall corners are finished? I am refering to the sheet metal angle piece drywallers put on the corners..

I intend to install tile on the fireplace. Probably 24x24 hardened & enameled porcelain slate. I am scared of the contraction/expansion the fireplace box will see over the next years due to the heat and cooling off cycles... Should I put Ditra or something similar to uncouple the movement of the cement boards and avoid the tiles from falling off or worst breaking? what about the grout lines?

Quick Reply