DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > grouting sandstone paver patio

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM  
stevenbohrer

Default grouting sandstone paver patio

Hi All,

Hoping for some input. I've installed about ~600sf of square cut, 1" thick, sandstone pavers around a pool... looks great. Now I'm grouting the installation. Have used a grout release product so it won't stick. Did a small section and am noticing white staining/streaks at the grout/stone intersection.

Does anyone know what this is? I think I heard somewhere where the lime from the original cement base can cause problems, is that what I'm seeing? Is there a way to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM  
bigeyes

If you are creating this paver patio from concrete pavers, chances are you are noticing a byproduct of concrete called effloresence. If they are brick then it could effloresence being released from the concrete under the brick. I would use an effloresence cleaner first and if that doesn't work you might try muratic acid, just be sure to do a small test area first.

[URL="http://www.visionexteriors.net/replacementwindows-cincinnati-columbus-dayton-ohio.htm"]Replacement Windows Cincinnati[/URL]
[URL="http://www.outdoorconcretedesign.com/stamped_concrete_driveway_columbus_cincinnati_dayton_ohio.htm"]Stamped Concrete Columbus[/URL]

Last edited by bigeyes; 10-26-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sandstone is a sedimentary rock and can contain many materials depending on where it comes from.

How old is the concrete base?

Dick

Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you're laying pavers OVER the conc pool apron ? ? ? couple dabs of const adhesive to hold 'em in place IF NEEDED & apply mortar w/sock,,, if you've got an efflorescence problem you'll either need to replace the apron OR apply a vapor-impermeable barrier to it.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 PM  
subzero

I think If they are brick then it could effloresence being released from the concrete under the brick...

Quick Reply