DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Help: Cave underneath concrete steps

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 05:29 PM  
danstrider

Whelp, it's all but ready for a new landing slab. I'll post some final pictures in a few days when I get the chance to build a form, really finish tamping, add crushed more gravel, and finally pour the actual concrete. There will be some regrading tasks in the area as well, to prevent all today's work from washing out in the future.

Thanks all for your helpful advice and interest.

Regards,
Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

I don't think you had a washout problem. That was just loose fill at the time the house was built and over time the dirt just settled. Your stairs must have rebar into both walls and won't be a problem. I would bet you have a gap below the landing at the bottom of the stairs too. I would shovel sand under the stairs and wash it down with water. Over a few days you could fill all the gaps.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Dan,

You are definitely a worker, to the extent not often seen these days. By chance, did you (or your parents) emigrate to the U.S. from Europe?

Had I caught this thread earlier, I would have suggested you just fill all of the voids with what's called "flowable fill." It's just a weak concrete mix (3 or 4 sack) with a few additives to keep the rock suspended. You would have paid dearly for the small load charge, but it would have saved you a lot of work. You might consider tying the new pour to the existing step concrete by also utilizing the existing stub rebar to the right of the longer bar (you mentioned earlier). Straighten it out by bending with a length of pipe (grunt bar) over it, then splice a longer rebar to it with doubled tie wire. Some vigorous wire-brushing of both bars would also be in order, to improve the bond with your new concrete.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with kok CDF,grout or concrete would be the best. although if tamped aggressively and often it -might- be possible to fill it acceptably.
Also it has obviously been like that for some time, perhaps since about 1976 so if it has not caused a issue yet it may not.
Also you could get some construction grout that allows for a fluid mixture and drill a apx 1" hole(s) and pour grout in. sort of a slabjack minus the jack.

Quick Reply