DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Help with problems in basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM  
AlwaysOneMoreProject

Likes Given: 1

Does that house on the right have eaves on that side, or is that roof draining onto the ground?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 790 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

The down spout near the electric meter needs to be extended away from the house, and the down spouts on the house next door have to be looked at too.
If digging between the houses is impossible I have seen the whole area between two house made to be a dry zone. It's all done below ground level, I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM  
Tylersloan

The house on the right has eves and gutters that drain into a pipe between both homes .
If the whole spot between the homes become a dry zone I'm wondering if the home owner next door will split the bill.
Monday I'm going down to the zoning office and take a look at the property lines and go from there

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Where do you live? one issue not mentioned is seismic reinforcement. un-reinforced CMU (Concrete masonry units- cinder blocks) do not perform well in an earthquake. To put it mildly.
also I would not be surprised if the gutters did not run into perf. pipe run around the house. I have scene that done where the gutters drain into footing drains made of black perf pipe. The footing drains just distribute the water right against the foundation.
How many drains? Well I'm from Washington state, so we do know rain. and as far as I am concerned I have yet to see a house that had too many drains or too much drainage.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM  
Tylersloan

I'm in Peoria Illinois by way of Houston Texas lol
There is black corrugated drainage pipe my home gutters and his are tied into the same pipe tomorrow I'll dig up a foot or so and see if it has holes .
I don't know how much the ground moves but it's not un common to live on top of a old cole mine up here . I think I need to call in professional help on this I really did not want to spend 30,000 on this but I do know it can be a lot of money to seal up a basement

Quick Reply