DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > How to seal concrete wall to prevent basement leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 AM  
alibrand

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to seal concrete wall to prevent basement leak

We just got our house about 2 months ago. I Have a faucet in my garage, which has a poured concrete floor, adjacent to a poured concrete wall that is an interior wall in my basement. We were just shutting off the water and clearing out the pipes for winter, when we noted that the water that fell on the floor of the garage appeared to leak down into the basement. You can see the picture of the damp spot in the basement insulation. I've cut open the insulation to let it dry and will tuck tape it afterwards.

What product would you recommend to seal the edge of the garage floor to keep this from happening in the future?

image-559140952.jpg   image-2955363782.jpg   image-886725181.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1463

Welcome to the site. This a fairly common thing. The out side walls should be water proofed up to dirt line and in the garage if they do it at all they stop just below the floor hight and never concider the tap is there and water could get to the wall. The easyest is to place a square plastic tub on the floor below the tap and get a scrap of vinyl flooring and staple that to the wall so it directs any water to the tub. The tub and vinyl ussualy go in after 2 or 3 trys at water proofing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 PM  
alibrand

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw
Welcome to the site. This a fairly common thing. The out side walls should be water proofed up to dirt line and in the garage if they do it at all they stop just below the floor hight and never concider the tap is there and water could get to the wall. The easyest is to place a square plastic tub on the floor below the tap and get a scrap of vinyl flooring and staple that to the wall so it directs any water to the tub. The tub and vinyl ussualy go in after 2 or 3 trys at water proofing it.
Thank you for the information. That sounds pretty easy to do. Dry basement, here I come!

Quick Reply