DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Install siding on cinder block

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 AM  
OLDummy

Default Install siding on cinder block

We have a 40 year old cinder block house to put siding on. Am looking at 'barn siding' in 4x8 sheets.

What's the best way to install? Furring strips - nailed or screwed, etc???

Thanks everybody...

Terry

BTW.. we will consider other options also.. no vinyl! Thank you.

Last edited by OLDummy; 10-01-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Terry:
The most secure method to install siding on blocks is to screw it on. There are several brands of screws that require a very small hole to be drilled and then they can be screwed directly into the blocks. The first one I can think of is Ackerman-Johnson (AJ's) but there are other brands too. Talk to the folks at the big box store near you.
It is a slow process but it is the only permanent process. If you use Contech PL400 construction adhesive also, it will require less screws.
Glenn

Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 AM  
OLDummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Welcome Terry:
The most secure method to install siding on blocks is to screw it on. There are several brands of screws that require a very small hole to be drilled and then they can be screwed directly into the blocks. The first one I can think of is Ackerman-Johnson (AJ's) but there are other brands too. Talk to the folks at the big box store near you.
It is a slow process but it is the only permanent process. If you use Contech PL400 construction adhesive also, it will require less screws.
Glenn
I've been told to "fur" with 1x3 first.. foam insulate between.

I've also been told that a "22" nailer will shatter the block! So you ( and others ) are suggesting screw/glue fur into block and then nail or screw siding.

Thanks..

Terry

Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would go the furing strip method fasten to the block with Tapcons or screws as mentioned and PL400. Insulate with foamboard sheets.
I myself would add 3/8" plywood and tarpaper in fact I think its code up here.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Terry:
I know most folks like to use the furring strips but my experience shows the best method is to glue and screw directly to the blocks. Furring strips tend to turn loose and are difficult to repair and the direct method is a one-step process. It won't hurt my feelings at all if you go the other way; I'm simply sharing my experiences with you.
Let us know how it turns out for you; maybe even some before and after pictures.
Glenn

Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Hey Terry:
I know most folks like to use the furring strips but my experience shows the best method is to glue and screw directly to the blocks. Furring strips tend to turn loose and are difficult to repair and the direct method is a one-step process. It won't hurt my feelings at all if you go the other way; I'm simply sharing my experiences with you.
Let us know how it turns out for you; maybe even some before and after pictures.
Glenn
Good point Glenn, I will have to remember this.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 AM  
OLDummy

Quote:
Hey Terry:
Glenn
Thanks guys..

Glenn I'm with you.. in fact after talking with our man @ HD he suggested just glue period.. especially since this is "old" block [ mid-60's.. ALL hollow.. I know because where there were old steel "channel" windows there are now 2 doorways.. to a walk-in closet and laundry room, and a back door. Not to mention framing 6 new windows and a sliding-glass door ] the block is rather "brittle"? Now you know why I'm the OLDummy.. I was a much younger older guy a couple years ago!

Wattaya think?

Terry

Old 10-02-2007, 01:36 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey that's cool Terry:
Seems like I can remember being a younger dummy a few years ago..... or was that last week, hmmm, well you get the point.
I am interested to know something about your blocks. Lots of folks call blocks 'cinder blocks' where most of them are 'Concrete Masonry Units' now, but I can remember when they made blocks with cinders from the railroad as the agregate. Do your blocks show little rusty flakes and rather porus looking holes in them? I used to drive nails directly into the real cinder blocks with just a hammer and they held pretty good. That is how old I am.
Glenn

Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM  
WICinderella

Default Tyvek House Wrap or Weather Trek House Wrap on CinderBlock,inside or on top siding

i am getting siding put on my 55 year old cinder block house and will either get board foam insulation between 2 x 4s or blown on foam between 2 x 4s. If I get board siding especially I wonder if I should have a moisture barrier like 6 mil polyurethane put under the foam boards or even under the blown on foam. One of the reasons I want the insulation under siding is to keep my house less moist on the inside.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 PM  
OLDummy

We're still trying to determine the best way to go!

This block seems to be very "brittle".. will shatter quite easily whether nailed or pilot-screwed. I'm leaning toward gluing siding directly to the block.. with no "barrier" / insulation.. and possibly 5 nails to hold while glue sets. There seems to be concern about exterior humidity (?). Then concentrate on "insulating" the interior walls.... of course that will change the "living sq. footage" ha ha!

DUH Help!?

Terry

Quick Reply