DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Issues with Chimney Liner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 322 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I don’t know how brave you are but I have taken my iPhone and taped it on a stick before and turned light and movie on to get a look inside places I couldn’t get to. I’m the type of person that likes to see it with my own eyes.

Up here on the great lakes we get maybe 20 days a year where we might want to run the AC. Cost isn’t all that much. It is however some messing around putting them in and out of a window spring and fall.

I might be tempted if I was you to go back on the home inspector and ask why they didn’t pick up on these items.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 802 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Years ago I found a chimney sweep in newspaper, this guy came and did a great job and then went out side and cleaned his vacumn out. I found it strange that he would do that at my house. A few munites later he was back the door to show how much terracotta he had found in the debre. He offered then to inspect it for repairs, with a light and mirror on a stick, he found that it was damage he himself had chipped the top of the liner while he was cleaning the chimney. I requimended him to everyone I knew.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

I will never trust online reviews for any home improvement services. Made that mistake when we had a new roof installed a few years ago. Picked an outfit with great ratings, only to have them royally screw up the job. To the extent of things like using illegal shingle fasteners, lots of shiners and broken shingles everywhere, to having an employee urinate in the yard while my wife was looking out the kitchen window at him (just 20' away from our well), the first day on the job. But I digress.

The quote for $13,000 is unrealistic. For considerably less than that, you can get a new high-efficiency, forced air gas system installed. My sister did the same in her 90-year old place in Wisconsin a few years ago, and her winter gas bills are a tad over $130 a month. Her old system had the huge gravity-feed ducts, which the installer ripped out and replaced with modern ductwork. I think she paid less than $6000 for the system. I removed her old chimney for her, as it was ready to collapse anyway, so she dodged a bullet there. As others have said, her new furnace uses just 2 small (intake and exhaust) PVC pipes venting through an exterior basement wall.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Hey, I hope the OP is still checking this thread.
I'm in northern NJ (Sussex cty). I had a chimney rebuild done just a few years ago, and i bring in a sweep every year. I'm very happy with the new chimney and I have had no problems. It cost me a lot less than you had quoted.

As for sweeps, we are using a good one now, but there are many that I wouldn't go anywhere near again.

If you are interested, post here or send me a message and i will compare notes with you. Don't know how far north you are, so my guys may not be local enough.

Quick Reply