DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > leak at base on interior basement wall.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM  
bioniczain

Default leak at base on interior basement wall.

Hi folks, need an opinion on a strange issue in my basement.

February my wife and I after an extensive search found a beautiful 1925 craftsman bungalow in the historical district. When we moved in there was some small leaking issues on an exterior basement wall around the windows due to the wood rot from the lack of pressure treated lumber used.

Yesterday afternoon I was in the basement and noticed a small 8-10 inch wet spot radiating from the base of an interior wall. The wall itself is dry, and there is roughly 40 feet between the wall in question and the wall on the exterior wall of the house. Any ideas on what may have caused this?

There is no plumbing near the puddle, the wall has been painted, unsure if it was with a sealant.

We had a rainstorm about a week ago but their is no visible moisture in the crawlspace behind the interior wall.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 11:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Welcome to the site.
Water will find it's way into strange places. You could have anything from a roof leak to plumbing leak anywhere above or even condensation on exposed cold water pipes. You will want to pay close attention to when the water shows up. Things like has it rained or you have watered the grass or used a shower. Good luck

Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 AM  
stadry

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

it could have come right up thru the floor which, to me, seems more likely except for the last rainstorm,,, condensation or a leak from above may be the cause,,, unfortunately no one can see your house from their / our house

Quick Reply