DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Maintaining a stamped concrete patio

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM  
OxDeadbeef

Likes Given: 2

Default Maintaining a stamped concrete patio

I recently bought a house that has a fairly large concrete patio, and I know next to nothing about maintaining it. It looks as if it had some kind of sealant that made it look wet (lacquer?) but about half of it has rubbed off. In some places it looks like it was put on with a roller but they didn't cover everything. The end result is the entire patio looks mottled, with some parts looking wet and fresh, and other parts looking looking dry, chalky, and worn (see pictures below.)

Is the sealant something I can buy and put on by myself? If so, do I need to clean off the old sealant first? Are there preferred brands, or brands to stay away from?

Also, there are quite a few small and hairline cracks running through it. I live in an area that gets below freezing quite often in the winter, so I'm assuming these should be sealed up to prevent further damage. Will any polyurethane type caulk work, or is there a specific product for this? Again, are there any brands that are known to be better or worse?

For what it's worth, we plan on putting some patio furniture out here and a grill/smoker that should get quite a bit of use for three seasons out of the year.

Here you can see the mottled surface colors

Areas where the current sealant/lacquer ends

One of the areas where it looks like it was rolled on, but for whatever reason they didn't finish or it's been rubbed off.

One of the larger cracks.

Relax, I'm hilarious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Check the local paint store for sealer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZnqrTweVQ
You can get them in solvent base or water base. I have used both and both work well but solvent base has a strong smell, I have also added colour to both.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 182

A similar thread that may help:
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f17/sealing-old-concrete-patio-17529/#post103014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply