DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Place DIY Basement Slab in Sections?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 AM  
toddmanqa

Default Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
If I was to do this job, I would form it up in strips four feet wide to make screeting and finishing easier, if I wanted to tie new to old I would use maybe two foot wide mesh and I would form it with 2x2 screwed to 2x3 with the mesh trapped between.
White carpenters glue is good for attaching new to old and they sell products for this.
So, like this?

Then, remove the wood form, and you have the wire mesh hanging out, to be inserted into the next strip?

concrete-profile.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what wire mesh ? why create problems & add something dick ( a prof eng ) AND aci [ concrete.org ] discourages ? you want to place it in strips ? fine but lose the wire

Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 PM  
MoreCowbell

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the great advise. It looks like both Toddmanqa and I have similar projects going. I am definitely getting a lot out of the replies to this thread.

I just have a few more questions:

1) The 2x2 & 2x3 idea that Nealtw had for the forms... is that to provide some interlocking of the slab sections to keep them even in case of settling or just a convenient way to create a partial form when mesh extends past the section being placed at the time?

2) It looks like the majority say that rebar/mesh is overkill. However, wouldn't reinforcement give the slab some crack resistance if there is some settling?

3) Is 3.5" good for a basement slab? Is it a bad idea to go thinner?

4) If placing the slab in sections as we discussed (i.e. sections in direct contact) do I need expansion joints around the perimeter with the slab meets the foundation?

Thanks again for the great advise!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Cowbell -

You are trying to reinvent the wheel to find a unique DIY approach that has proven to usually not be acceptable and is more costly in the end.

It has been shown the reinforcement and mesh is not worth the problems and can be detrimental.

By the way, you do not need expansion joints since concrete shrinks and does not expand in a basement environment.

Regarding the thickness, 3.5" is a practical minimum and many codes require a 3.5" slab to be in contact with the wall for additional lateral restraint.

Dick

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 791 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

The idea of stacking 1.5" on top of 2.5 " was just to capture the wire. I would only do that if a customer was bent on having it there. I agree with Mudmixer, plant mixed concrete and placed by a pro would be the best. If you are worried about setling rent a compacter.
Now how about the other problems. If this area was not intended to be basement, is there drainage around the outside and is the out side of the foundation sealed.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 PM  
MoreCowbell

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK - It looks like I'll skip the wire mesh. That will save a few $ which is nice.

Nealtw, you got me rethinking another part of my plan. Moisture should not be a problem in the basement but I am planning on installing a perimeter drain under the slab just to be safe. I was also planning on laying a few inches of gravel under the whole slab as well, followed by a vapor barrier, before I place the concrete.

I know its a good idea to have a perimeter drain, but is it really necessary to have gravel under the entire slab? If not, I'll be real happy to save that expense as well.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 791 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

We always compact and use sand becuase it's easy to work with, I don't know if there is a code requierment.

Quick Reply