DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Roof / Chimney / leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 AM  
brasilmom

Ooops, the pictures were a bit too big. I resize them and hope that now it will work. I will try to provide explanations on each one of them.

p1000759.jpg   p1000758.jpg   p1000757.jpg   p1000751.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM  
brasilmom

First picture shows the front of the fire place. The leak was directly on that side, inside the sunroom.
Second picture just to reflect the "flat roof" as it joins the shingle roof. Notice that there are some cracks on the white material. It is also a bit "springy" for a lack of better word. However the leak occurred in a higher part than that. We do not think it is possible that this was the cause of the leak. Nonetheless the contractor is coming back to repair that.
Third picture a side view of the chimney. And fourth picture is the back view of it.
There are some areas where tuckpoint will be needed but it is not major stuff. The day we had the leak it was a very heavy, hard rain.
Thanks for any and all input. Be well
Miriam

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 458 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Miriam, I'm sorry, your roofer doesn't have a clue on how to flash a chimney. The "L" flashing on the outside will channel water up under the counter flashing. Any airborne debris, pollen, leaves, dust will only make it worse. Tell him to look at the SMNACA manuel or go to the shingle MFG's website to see how to properly step and counter flash a chimney. If he tells you he's been doing it this way for years, tell him he's been doing it wrong.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 458 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 144

There appears to be effervescence on the side of the chimney, indicating water saturation into the chimney chase. Have him, or you, check the area where the brick steps out at the top for voids. A leak in the chase itself will usually show up in the ceiling around the fireplace.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM  
brasilmom

Pardon my ignorance, but I do not understand the effervescencce part of it. If by that you mean the white looking thing, that is something my husband did some time ago as a tuck point. I know it looks awful and I told him so. This is something that I plan on doing and am also looking into a sealant to apply once the tuck point are all done. I would love suggestions on proper material to use.
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
There appears to be effervescence on the side of the chimney, indicating water saturation into the chimney chase. Have him, or you, check the area where the brick steps out at the top for voids. A leak in the chase itself will usually show up in the ceiling around the fireplace.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM  
brasilmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Miriam, I'm sorry, your roofer doesn't have a clue on how to flash a chimney. The "L" flashing on the outside will channel water up under the counter flashing. Any airborne debris, pollen, leaves, dust will only make it worse. Tell him to look at the SMNACA manuel or go to the shingle MFG's website to see how to properly step and counter flash a chimney. If he tells you he's been doing it this way for years, tell him he's been doing it wrong.
And when we questioned him that, he said that the flashing we see is just decorative. He did poor for a "decorative" job that's for sure. I do not know what is underneath, but he says that the real flashing is underneath. How can I tell? I know that he is licensed by the manufacturer, and our hopes was that he knew what he was doing. I will, nonetheless look for at the MFG website to find out more.
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 838 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Oldog: What do think of the join between the roof and the water deverter above the chimney? I would like to see more on the skylight. This will need to be inspected from inside the attic while it is raining. If the ceiling has vapour barrier a leal anywhere will show up where there are hple in the barrier. Lights, chimneys, vents and things like that.
How do the dish cables get into the roof?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM  
brasilmom

The are in the attic where the "problem" area is, is hard to access... imagine that. However, I will try to make my way up there and see if I can inspect that a bit more. As for the dish cables, they were installed before us, so with the older roof. We chose not to have it all removed as we may end up with that choice in the future.

And there are two sky lights there. One is to the left of the chimney and the other is directly behind it. I can try to take a picture later when the baby goes for his nap.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 838 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

It can be very hard to get around chimneys and skylights and the sort, it can also be dangerous, there is a real danger of falls, the ceiling is unforgiving. I would not recommend you go up there while you are alone in the house.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 PM  
brasilmom

Nealtw, I did not venture up on the attic while alone in the house, however I did today. So, it is virtually impossible to access the chimney from the attic as the location of it is behind a vaulted ceiling which vaults into the attic. I can see just a small bit of the back wall and everything appears dry. We got another round of heavy rain but did not last too long. The rain that brought the leak was a long, heavy, and severe storm. The contractor is supposed to come back to do some "touch ups" on the flat part and he does not seem to be concerned about the water. He says it is the chimney itself. I may remove some of the wall paneling in the sunroom to see what is behind it.

Can anyone here also give me some instructions, materials, for the tuck point. I know I can do it, but I want to use the correct materials to make it correctly.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Quick Reply