DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > "Sandy" mortar on tuck-point repair.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM  
drm31078

Default "Sandy" mortar on tuck-point repair.

I live in Charlotte, NC and have a 4 year old home on crawlspace with a curtain wall / pillar type of foundation. I had some major foundation issues that were repaired (via helical coils) and the last step of the repair was to fix the cracks in the brick/mortar in the curtain wall.

The brick mason came out and repaired the cracks early last month 12/7/10. He rebuilt a small section of the curtain wall (3' x 3'), but most of the work was repairing mortar cracks. The mortar cracks he ground out to about 1/2" deep and then tuck-pointed them.

The temperatures during the day were hovering in the mid 30's and it was below freezing at night. I asked him about the cold temperatures and he didn't think it would be a problem for this type of repair. He used a small heater when working on the small section of rebuilt wall, but not when working on the mortar cracks.

So it's been over a month since the repair was completed and I am concerned with the mortar. The mortar seems hard in that I can take a knife and push into it without causing any damage. However, if I take my finger and rub over the mortar, sand comes off (not chunks, just grains). If I rub the old mortar, no sand comes off.

Is this normal?

I showed the brick mason and he didn't think it was a problem since the mortar was hard and not broken. He did offered to come back in March to re-evaluate (when the weather is warmer) and fix whatever needed it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

He really should have waited for a warmer day.
Any morter repair will have some loose sand on it if rub, plus morter and cement take a long time to fully cure. I think that's fair of him to even offer to come back.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 AM  
drm31078

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
He really should have waited for a warmer day.
Any morter repair will have some loose sand on it if rub, plus morter and cement take a long time to fully cure. I think that's fair of him to even offer to come back.
Thanks for the reply. I thought mortar/cement cure in 28 days? The original mortar on my house doesn't rub off any sand, although it is 4 years old. What makes a repair different?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mortar's essentially concrete w/o large aggregate albeit a different type of portland,,, the repair's no different than your original BUT for the jabonie who did the work then when he should've waited for warmer weather !

Quick Reply