DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Bricks, Masonry and Concrete (
-   -   Should I fix a crack in foundation or install sump pump? (

Pickles 02-28-2011 10:10 AM

Should I fix a crack in foundation or install sump pump?
I'm a new home owner and really need advice on a basement flooding issue. The previous owner had dug up part of the foundation to install a new sewer line. He then set new cement over that new sewer line. Now when the water table is high (mostly after rain on top of snow melt) a lot of water seeps in in the seam that was created between the old concrete and the new concrete. In the 1 1/2 years I've owned the place it's happened 6-7 times.

Here's my question: Is it worth trying to patch up the seams to prevent the flooding? If so how would I do it? If I patch it will the water pressure just find another place to spring up?

Any "basement repair service" I call just tries to sell me a sump pump and/or french drains. That may be the right solution but I wanted to make sure I try an easier/cheaper solution first.

Any help or advice on this would be really appreciated.

nealtw 02-28-2011 05:59 PM

Any patch would want to be done on the outside. the water hasn't got an easy run to the perimator drain or it may be plugged, the sump may be the best.

handyguys 03-02-2011 02:24 PM

Pickles - The very first thing to do is to make sure your grade outside is sloped away from the house. Your downspouts extend 6 feet away from your house and your gutters are not clogged and over flowing. Once all that is done, and only then, would my next step be a sump pump or maybe a sump pump with a french drain.

Yes, it may involve significant work if you have mature landscaping creating a slope towards the house. Thats the right first fix tho. The basement waterproofing companies will just sell you what they do which is the interior drains without addressing the typical root cause of the problem.

itsreallyconc 03-09-2011 05:03 PM

it sounds like a high wtr table in that specific area ( not cranford alone ! )

evidently the previous guy didn't properly ' bond ' the new conc to old by using epoxy,,, you can inject the seam w/hydrophyllic polyurethane which should do the trick HOWEVER you may also need further work ( sump, pump, etc ),,, call j r weiss at gamka ( edison ) & ask him who he'd recommend,,, i've been gone too long from woodbridge to give you a guy.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.