DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Stain under windows.




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 PM  
peter101
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 15
Default Stain under windows.

Stain under windows.

After winter, the bricks under windows have white powder (efflorescence) as shown on the photo.


When I bought the house last year and some contracts told me it was because the window seals had a lot cracks and the water enter the wall through the cracks. So, I redo all window caulking last year, but the problems are still not solved.
Now some contracts told me I have to repoint the brick joints under the windows to solve this problems.
I would like to get your opinions. Thanks.



small_window.jpg  
__________________
peter101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 9,911
Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Default

Peter; I've look at you photo a few times, and I'm still looking at windows. Have they been changed and are they new vinyl in old wooden frame?



__________________
nealtw is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 PM  
Mightygiving
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 12
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

The fact that efflorescence appearing requires copious amounts of water pass from behind the mortar and weep through that mortar outward, would give creedance to what the new contractors are saying. To get a better idea if that is infact the need, remove the screen and lean out over the sill and look at what the mortar around and below the concrete sill looks like and take a screwdriver and scratch it in several places to see if it has lost the concrete bonding.

If the mortar is deteriated and possibly the top surface of the sill is massively pitted (which weather,pigeon/bird feeces will cause) loosing its water cast off ability and depending on the slope of that sill (might have settled leaning inward) allowing that waterflow to go behind the brick facing. If this is the case, a greater question might become, what has happened to the substrate(s) behind the brick and the potential of rot in those materials (sill plate, cripples, wall plate at the floor and subflooring under the window area).

__________________
Mightygiving is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM  
JoeD
Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 952
Liked 101 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Definitely water intrusion. Based on where the stains are I think the intrusion is coming from above the sill. The mortar below looks damaged but I don't think it is the cause of the problem. I think it is the result of the problem.

__________________
JoeD is online now  
nealtw Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM  
peter101
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Peter; I've look at you photo a few times, and I'm still looking at windows. Have they been changed and are they new vinyl in old wooden frame?
Yes. It is old wood fram cover with thin metal sheet. When last year doing window caulking, some of the bottum fram were found rotten, but window now is sealed well.
__________________

Last edited by peter101; 04-10-2013 at 09:26 PM.
peter101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM  
peter101
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygiving View Post
The fact that efflorescence appearing requires copious amounts of water pass from behind the mortar and weep through that mortar outward, would give creedance to what the new contractors are saying. To get a better idea if that is infact the need, remove the screen and lean out over the sill and look at what the mortar around and below the concrete sill looks like and take a screwdriver and scratch it in several places to see if it has lost the concrete bonding.

If the mortar is deteriated and possibly the top surface of the sill is massively pitted (which weather,pigeon/bird feeces will cause) loosing its water cast off ability and depending on the slope of that sill (might have settled leaning inward) allowing that waterflow to go behind the brick facing. If this is the case, a greater question might become, what has happened to the substrate(s) behind the brick and the potential of rot in those materials (sill plate, cripples, wall plate at the floor and subflooring under the window area).
the mortar below the concrete sill is damaged and loose. But, we have seal all the window frame and no water will go in between the sill and fram. You mean the sill has to change.
__________________
peter101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 9,911
Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Default

Is the bottom surface of the stone sill sloped down away from the building or does it have a drip edge cut into it? If not water can kling to it and travel back to the brick.

stone-dripedge.jpg  
__________________
nealtw is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 AM  
Mightygiving
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 12
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter101 View Post
the mortar below the concrete sill is damaged and loose. But, we have seal all the window frame and no water will go in between the sill and fram. You mean the sill has to change.
It isn't a problem with the window frames it is a problem with the sill's surrounding mortar and that isn't sealed it needs repointed because it has FAILED thus letting water in via cracks, separations and where it has washed out from the water pushing it out.


__________________
Mightygiving is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
removing stain newtda General Home Improvement Discussion 0 10-14-2010 06:56 PM
Deck Stain kosmo Painting Forum 1 09-01-2009 05:05 PM
Stain over Polyurethane beachnut General Home Improvement Discussion 1 07-10-2008 06:46 AM
chlorine stain lartomar2002 Flooring 2 07-18-2007 09:42 AM
masonry stain IPowner Flooring 2 04-25-2006 12:05 PM