DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Staining cinderblock sides of raised concrete slab patio

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

QW probably not be guaranteed by anyone if it was applied or a stain/coating. Nothing good to bond to.

Dick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM  
CSmith

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieG View Post
Oops....forgot to ask one more thing....if we were to go ahead and stain it as is, and still didn't like still being able to see the outlines of the block, could we use this stuff over top of that?
Thanks again
You would need wire if you were to go that route..

Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 AM  
DebbieG
Resourceful Designer

Darn, sounds like I'd better get it right the first time then.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
CSmith....since your a pro, maybe you have some knowledge about attaching a Pergola to this patio?? I wish we had considered this when we had the patio done. Now that it looks so nice we got new patio furniture to put out there but it just looks weird, not to mention that covering it gets old. If you can help, please see my other post "attaching a pergola to a raised concrete patio". I really didn't get much advice on that one yet.
Thanks again!

Debbies Resourceful Designs[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM  
DebbieG
Resourceful Designer

Ok...I'm back.....If I can get the materials early enough today, I'm hoping to get working on this today. I went to a masonary supply company to see what they had. He didn't know anything about the quickwall at HD, but said they had something called CSC-4 that can be mixed with color additives but problem is that even without color, its already a pretty dark grey so I wouldn't be able to lighten it. It may look ok without any color, since the release agent used on the stamped top looks grey anyway....if not, then I guess I will have to use a concrete stain over top. (will a lighter color than the stucco work?)
The biggest concern I have at this point it that it seems that all of the stains I've seen say that they also seal.....As CSmith stated....I want this to still be able to "breathe".
If there is a certain brand that I should use that (or stay away from), please let me know.

....ok, I took a break from this post and spent the last hour calling local building and concrete suppliers in my area and can't seem to find anyone who has stucco type products that I can add color to, which really surprises me??
The Quickwall at home depot is very limited with color options.....any suggestions?
Not looking good for getting this going today.
Looks like quickwall at Home Depot may be how I have to go. Lowes was no help either.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 PM  
CSmith

Ask for mortar dye at the builders supply, it comes in all colors and you can add it to any portland mix to achieve the color you want. You may have to call around to find it. If they don't have quite the shade you want, create your own with the appropriate colors.
Get it in powder form, liquid dyes fade fast.
Measure the amount of dye you use in each mix and keep it the same or you will have different shades with each mix.

regards,
CS

Old 10-08-2010, 04:12 PM  
CSmith

PS: Keep in mind your mix will dry a shade or two lighter than when it's wet . All you have to do is smear a little on a block and let it dry to make sure your happy with the shade before you continue, adjust it from there if necessary.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 AM  
DebbieG
Resourceful Designer

Thanks.
Ended up getting the Qucikwall from HD, then found a local masonary supply store that had about 10 of the Solomon powdered colors available. Problem is, looking at the color chart isn't going help me since they are shown using grey cement and the Quickwall I'm using is white so will be a little different. I bought 2 colors that I will have to mix and play around with a little to get as close as I can. I wanted to make some small batches to test on some sample blocks I bought, and realized the bag of both products didn't provide a ratio of parts to parts, but only how much water "per bag"...not as easy a conversion as u would think....Figuring out how much color to add was even trickier. I called a rep from Solomon for advice and he explained that unless I'm measuring by weight, it will be very difficult to make the same color twice. Because this is such a fine powder, measuring, for example, a 1/2 cup per batch will not end up the same due to air content and nature of the product. After doing a little research on making small batches of the Quikwall, I found that a ratio of between 4.5 to 5 parts Quickwall to 1 part water worked out well. I made just enough to cover 1 block and used about 1/4 teaspoon of color. I made 4 different sample colors using a measuring spoon to mix a little from each color and guess I'm going to have to use my judgment from how it looked wet vs dry to determine how much to add to my big batch when ready to go on this.
He suggested trying to make one big batch for the whole job to avoid color variations but with the set time being under an hour....I'm not so sure I can go that fast. I think I'm going to try for 2 batches and just mix the color in the water for both batches at the same time in separate buckets and pray they come out close enough....Scary!
Anyway....hope to be getting this done by next Wednesday (my day off) so stay tuned for photos of how it turns out!
Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by DebbieG; 10-10-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Yes debbie - you can stucco over a stained block wall.

My first thought was stucco as well. I would have someone do it. There is a technique to getting a consistent texture. Also, not a synthetic stucco. Real stucco. It should be relatively inexpensive to have done.

As for the pergola brackets. I did one where I used the green 4x4 post brackets and just didn't set the posts all the way to the bottom of them. I also had someone fabricate custom joist hangars.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM  
resurfacer
resurfacer

DebbieG, the quick wall product was originally designed as a waterproofing system, used in concrete block water tanks.

U can apply an acrylic pigmented penetrating sealer to add color, it will not block the moisture, it breathes.

If you apply an acrylic sealer and do not like the look, most concrete overlay products would not adhere to the sealer.

Cover with steel stucco mesh to overlay.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM  
DebbieG
Resourceful Designer

Handyguys - I like your joist hangers...wish I could afford to go custom with mine but not sure how I'm going to handle that yet...I originally wanted to notch the rafters, but due to needing a little slope to drain the clear roof I'm planning to add, I decided against it.
I'm sure your post mounts are fine since you used a ledger board too, but I'm shooting for freestanding, hence my concern.

Resurfacer
- You said the Quickwall was designed as a waterproofing system and that the sealer will not block moisture....
The Quickwall does though??
I really didn't want to trap moisture in the patio and did go ahead with the Quickwall already and will add photos as soon as I get a chance. Problem is, the color turned out a little too orange so now I do plan to cover that with a paint or concrete stain before sealing.
3 questions.....what is the best paint or stain to use on this and is there any point in worrying about a breathable paint and sealer if the Quickwall isn't breathable?
Also, since I'm here in Michigan where it's dropping down to around 35 degrees at night and 50s to 60s during the day, I assume that I am going to have to wait until next spring to paint & seal the Quickwall?
Thanks all!

Quick Reply