DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Tilson Home's cracked concrete garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default Thanks

Welcome Rog, and thank you for your interest in my volunteering to help folks out. Being an odd moderator, just out of bankruptcy, with plenty of bad advice, I just like to hang around and tell folks to get an expensive lawyer.
I understand your non glowing post, and I do love your knack for sarcasm...you do it well. However, you did catch me, while I never really said to contact a home inspector,you got me, but let me put my own foot in my own mouth. I also do that in my spare time.
Truth is, IN my opinion, Alan is plain old gettin the shaft, I have seen it to many times with to many large companies who drop the ball...hmmm sounding farmiliar?
Tell your story to Tilcon, they can put it in their brochure.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 AM  
AlanC

Tilson finally sent out someone that could make a decision. They scanned the slab and it was in several places thinner that the 4 inches which was required by the engineered slap design. Currently we are underway in cutting out the critical areas and replacing them at no cost to me.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM  
TxRancher

the only way your going to know if your slab is up to standard is to have core samples taken; if its bad concrete its bad concrete; plain and simple. We are presently building a tilson home that experienced 2 blow outs when tensioning and cracks throughout the foundation exist; we took core samples and they came in at an average of 1680 psi, roughly half the ACI standard and half the standard of the foundation designer for tilson. we are now taking core samples of the whole slab and if it comes out the same, we will have a problem on our hands because you cannot fix bad concrete

Last edited by TxRancher; 07-24-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 859 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

Hay Rancher welcome to the site. You must have done some digging to find this old post. I don't know Tilson but even if they are a good outfit, sometimes bad things happen. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM  
TxRancher

doing research on tilson foundations is all; im hoping for the best. we chose tilson because they seem to be a company that stands behind their work. they are continuing to build despite the blowout and our independent concrete testing but thats their choice. We are hearing alot of the same things like the cracks are 'expansion cracks' or 'shrinkage cracks' and that 'concrete just cracks' and while all of this may very well be true, if the concrete is bad, the concrete is bad and I don't want a home in perpetual repair. the burden is on Tilson because I have not signed off yet. Truly, I am hoping that the independent testing comes back per design and we can move into this beautiful home; i have not heard anyone say that they have ever had to rip out a foundation and start over but I get an eerie feeling I am about to be the statistic. If its bad concrete its bad concrete and although I know Tilson only has so much control over things like this, the buck does stop with them. Hoping for the best outcome

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 859 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

You are best to find out before you move in. A few years ago we took over a house building that the foundation was put in by others. When we bolted down the sill plate we had concrete flying all over the place as the bolts just pulled out. We herd all the stories about who's fault it was, but the bottom line was it was a bad job and it had to be replaced.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 106 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This thread is 4 years old. I hope it is resolved by now.

Quick Reply