DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > tuck pointing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 PM  
bubblegummom

Likes Given: 1

Default tuck pointing question

One side of our house needs tuck pointing and we need to choose a mason. Do most masons use a squeeze tube-type apparatus to put the mortar into the joints these days instead of an old fashioned trowel? Does it work as well?

Thank you!

Loretta

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most masonary contractors would probably use a "pointing trowel" to do this kind of work. Pointing trowels come in widths from 5/16 inch to 1/2 inch (for concrete blocks) with the most common size for brickwork mortar joints being 3/8 inch.

Grout bags...(shown here), are typically used for applying the mortar or grout between irregular rocks (on fire places and such) or where the mortar joint is wider than 1/2 inch.

However, your masonary contractor will use whatever tool that he finds works best for him, and it's best to let him decide how to actually go about actually doing the work. As long as the mortar joints are repacked with new mortar, that's what matters. How that happens really doesn't matter as both a grout bag and a tuck pointing trowel are suitable for filling those joints with fresh mortar.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-07-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM  
bubblegummom

Likes Given: 1

Nestor_Kelebay:

Thank you! Very helpful! I think I have figured out which mason I want to hire.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM  
Marksextra
Dr. Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Most masonary contractors would probably use a "pointing trowel" to do this kind of work. Pointing trowels come in widths from 5/16 inch to 1/2 inch (for concrete blocks) with the most common size for brickwork mortar joints being 3/8 inch.

Grout bags...(shown here), are typically used for applying the mortar or grout between irregular rocks (on fire places and such) or where the mortar joint is wider than 1/2 inch.

However, your masonary contractor will use whatever tool that he finds works best for him, and it's best to let him decide how to actually go about actually doing the work. As long as the mortar joints are repacked with new mortar, that's what matters. How that happens really doesn't matter as both a grout bag and a tuck pointing trowel are suitable for filling those joints with fresh mortar.
Good answer. Even a striker would work!

TheSealerSite.com

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, I don't know what a "striker" is.

Is this what you're calling a "striker"?

In Winnipeg, where I live, most people call this tool a "jointer". (But, lots of people call it a "spoon", too.) I guess it doesn't matter what you call it, as long as the other person knows what you mean.

I wouldn't use a jointer to pack the mortar in. You use a jointer to compact the surface of the mortar to make it more water resistant. If you put the mortar in with a jointer, how are you going to then compact the surface of the mortar to make it more water resistant?

Quick Reply