DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Bricks, Masonry and Concrete (
-   -   Ugly Stoop and Angry Wife-Please Help (

boogeyman36 04-18-2009 06:23 AM

Ugly Stoop and Angry Wife-Please Help
1 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks,
I have searched this excellent forum and others, and can't seem to find the correct answer to this problem. Masonry and carpentry are out of my league, and hiring a pro would be my first choice, except I've just been laid off.

The blocks under this stoop have shifted laterally, leaving high spots. Thanks to this forum, I have stopped water infiltration from the other side of the stoop, which presumably caused all this shifting over the years. I now have good drainage, and I've learned the value of perf pipe, French drains, etc.

If I need to sell this home, this is the first thing you see when you get out of your car. I promised my bride of 31 years that I would beautify it.

Can vertical concrete surfaces be repaired? It's a mystery to me. I have masonry grinding and cutting wheels for my right angle grinder, but do I need to level the surface? What about faux brick panels that are a similar color to the brick on the house? Stucco? I'm not sure how to apply it.

Thanks to everyone who supports this forum with their wisdom and knowledge. Alan B NW Indiana

kok328 04-18-2009 06:39 AM

My first thought would be to tear it all out and replace it with wood and maybe even widen it some or make a deck/porch area in addition to the steps.
Your faux brick idea would work nicely too. I believe it's held up with mastic, construciton adhesive or mortar (sorry, never work with the stuff). I'm sure the place where you buy it will know what you need to stick it.

boogeyman36 04-18-2009 11:13 AM

Hi Kok328,
That was a fast response! Thank you for help. I would love to widen it and make a porch area, but unfortunately, that's not in the budget at the moment. If I have to, I'll flatten the surface and put a piece of plywood in there for now. I forgot to mention that the recess is about 2".

yesitsconcrete 04-20-2009 04:13 AM

DaveyDIY 04-20-2009 11:11 AM

What does the rest of the front of the house look like?
I'd be inclined to mortar bricks (1/2 thick - front only) to blend in
The thin brick they make

handyguys 04-21-2009 10:34 AM

I think I would be inclined to try my hand at stucco. Its a three step process. Wire lath, scratch coat, top coat. Shouldn't be expensive for a small area. Might even be able to hire it out for not much money if its commonly done in your area.

You could also just paint it with a self priming masonry paint.

Another option would be 'parging' I think that's a regional term. Essentially its just coating it with mortar. Sorta like poor mans stucco. parge is often topped with paint around here.

boogeyman36 04-22-2009 04:44 AM

Hi Dave,

It's a bi-level house, and the rest of the front has brick on the lower half like you see on the left, and "stucco" panels on the upper half, with brown trim boards in a Tudor style, I guess. I have decided I am going to fill it in with cement, then wait a year to see if anything is still moving, then take it from there. I think I know those thin bricks you are talking about. That would look real nice, if this stoop is stable.
Thanks Dave!

boogeyman36 04-22-2009 04:59 PM

Hi Handyguys
Oops! I think you posted and I didn't see it right away. My eyes are not so good anymore. But now that you've given me a stucco option, and "parging", which I never in my life heard of, now I can do some more searching. When I get this fixed, I'll post a pic or two so you guys can laugh at it!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.