DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > What is the best thing to fill a concrete porch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:31 PM  
derrick27

Default What is the best thing to fill a concrete porch?

My wife and I are building a new house and I am needing some suggestions on filling our front porch. The porch's dimensions are as follows: 40' wide, 8' deep and 5' high. It has 8" concrete block with brick veneer. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Derrick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM  
yesitsconcrete

what do you mean by ' filling ' ??? there are birdbaths in the conc deck OR soil backfill which'd fill up the hole created by the porch perimeter ??? if its soil fill, you won't be able to compact or you'll blow out the perimeter of block since you didn't choose steel reinforc'd conc,,, guess you're down south.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 102 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Default Only one

Fill it with sand. No issues ever.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Derrick:
I vote with InspectorD sand is compacted when it hits the bottom. Dirt will settle away from the bottom of the concrete leaving it unsupported.
There is also a decking metal that could be used to eleminate all backfill. The metal would have to be supported down the middle and across the back and I would use #4 rebars every foot in each direction. I would also remove a brick every 4' to allow the porch floor to be keyed into the house. The rebar at each brick opening should have a hooked end and run into the brick for extra strength.
You may find the metal decking is cheaper than having truckloads of sand hauled in.
Glenn

Quick Reply