DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > what can i use to take up space when pouring concrete

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM  
skimmilk68

Default what can i use to take up space when pouring concrete

I'm building concrete stairs about 7 feet wide and going down 3 feet so about 3-4 steps. That would be a lot of concrete to pour so can I put bricks or cinderblocks in the form to take up the volume?

I know people pour dirt when building a concrete slab... I don't think that would work for concrete stairs though..

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bricks-masonry-asphalt-concrete/472767-what-can-i-use-take-up-space-concrete-form.html#ixzz1xQ5fnPp3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 62 Times on 57 Posts

I've used the old, broken up concrete as a "center" for new step placements. Supplemented by any large boulders in the neighborhood. The trick is not to go overboard with any fill you put in there, or the quality of the step may suffer if the finished concrete is too thin (especially if you're too stingy with your rebar).

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 PM  
skimmilk68

will cinder blocks work? or any solid object for that matter?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 266 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Do not use loose dirt because it will settle. Cinder blocks (chunks and pieces?) will work fine. Clean rocks are great. Tamp the cement deeply to settle the pour. I like vibrating my foundation cement if you can access a concrete vibrator.

Make sure your make a continuous pour so everything bonds. Don't pour one day and then pour hours later or even on another day.

Good luck!

Quick Reply