DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > What type of base needed for paver stones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM  
swindmill

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I plan on using paver edging, assuming that's the best way to keep surrounding mulch and/or gravel off the patio. I have found a sand/stone supplier nearby that seems to be what I'm looking for- - Turf, Stone and Landscape Products | Nugent Sand Company

All of this has raised another issue I have... The area I'm putting down the patio has a slight slope to it. I'd guess 4"-5" over the 10 foot area. The only way I know to deal with this is to put a small retaining wall on the low end and flatten it out using the dirt I dig up from the higher end. Is that correct, or are there more simple methods of doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Now you are complicating matters!

A small retaining wall will likely need a footing. The required footing would be bigger (deeper) than the raised retaining wall portion.

Technically the foundation should be below the frost line but truthfully if it were me I would dig a hole about twenty inches deep and fill it to the grade with reinforced concrete. Then set some concrete bricks or wall bricks on top of the footing with mortar. That could look pretty good actually. If there is only one row of bricks above grade I would use ceramic tile thinset mortar instead of brick mortar to set the wall bricks.

Then again I might just live with the slope.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM  
swindmill

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I might just live with the slope, but a small retaining wall could look good if I did it right. I wasn't sure if laying the patio on a sloped surface would make the process difficult.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

The slope won't change the process any as long as you parallel the grade. Of course your picknick table will be a little crooked and your bowling balls will roll off into the grass!

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 PM  
mudmixer

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

You could use small segmental retaining wall units (landscape block) for such a small wall. Concrete footings are NEVER suggested for these units even for 40' high walls.

The aesthetics of wall caused by the slope will depend on the slope change and length.

Dick

Quick Reply