DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > White spots on bricks under plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 PM  
jsdeano

Default White spots on bricks under plants

How do I get the white spots off of my bricks. I have a indoor brick veranda. Where ever you put something down on it weather it be a plant or a cooler or even a rug the bricks turn white. The white seems to be something that has been used in the past to seal or wax the floor. I can take a razor scraper and scrape whatever it is off in minute quantities. Of course this will not do on a large floor of bricks. I tried some Acetone but that does not seem to get it. The rest of the floor has a shiny look to it. This also can be scraped with a razor blade.Does someone know of a product that might work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A brick floor is one of the last floors I would ever want but sealing it should help. The stains are most likly from moisture coming up through the floor.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Joe is correct. From your description it is efflorescence, which occurs when moisture is high and is drawn out of the brick. If you Google "Efflorescence Removers", you will find numerous ways to remove it.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM  
designer-fixit

it mite sound kinds silly but try a little babyoil and a brillo pad or steel wool.... it worked on a similar project but its not exact to mine... hope this helps

Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Please do not do as DIY suggest. Any oil on bricks will stain them and it will not come off, and will stop any sealers from being able to penetrate. Also steel wool will leave behind tiny specks of steel down in the pores of the brick and grout and will rust within 24 hours from just the moisture in the air.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM  
jsdeano

This problem does not seem to be salts. I have used muratic acid and it does nothing. It seems as if this is a shiny sealer or shellac. It only turns white and stats white when you leave something sitting on it. Buckets, furniture, pots ect.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM  
epox

Sounds like the objects you are putting down on it are trapping the moisture under the exisiting coating/sealer causing it to (fog)...most sealers are designed to let moisture escape through them... With something on top the dampness has nowhere to go. maybe you could set the objects up off the pavers just a little ...like on a few small chunks of wood or something.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

maybe that baby oil & brillo pad works in kalee-fornia, fix-it, but i'd never do it,,, keep your things on stands, too,,, joe & epox're on the right track

Quick Reply