DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > why there are white lime trangle lines on walls aroud my chimney?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 06:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Did you get the part about the cricket, that is the roof shape behind the chimney to devert the water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 AM  
peter101

Default Re:about the cricket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Did you get the part about the cricket, that is the roof shape behind the chimney to devert the water.
Yes, I have cricket (or: chimney saddle) behind the chimney and I found two 1" gaps between it and the chimney wall after winter and sealed it. Now, I have covered the whole chimney and the seals of chimney flashs with plastic, but I still has the deep color area after rain. The color is light than before I don't know if it is due to after one week of sunny day the water inside the wall has evaporated a lot or the covering the chimney.

100_6289.jpg  

Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Peter, are you seeing any water spotting on the ceiling of the room inside the house?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

When you have the chimney wrapped up, put a sprinkler at the peak, you may just have a roof leak. Lately we have been working on a church that had a little roof leak last year and replaced that part of the roof. Someone noticed the stucco was a little discoloured so they checked it out and found some soft walls and hired a siding outfit to re and re the siding. The roof had been leaking for years and never showed inside.
We have been changing whole sections of walls that were held up with stucco and drywall. The best or I should say worsed was a 6"x48" beam 80 ft long the side has rotted in 1 1/2" all without showing inside. I am sure the engineers will tell us what to do with the beam right after the hart attack. We found ware the water was getting in and it traveled 40ft along the beam.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Neal makes a good recommendation to water test the area. Start by running water in the gutter, look for leak signs. Then move higher until you see evidence of water migration. Start low and slowly work your way up the chimney chase. I'd suggest using a hose with no nozzle instead of a sprinkler so you can localize the water flow...and be very careful on wet roof slopes or ladders.

Also, looking at the pic, i'll bet there is no flashing between the gutter and the backside of the chimney or kick-out flashing at the bottom of the brick sides. Can you get whoever tarped the chimney to take some pics from elevation?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 AM  
peter101

Default Could please tell me what is wet insulation around the chimney and how to verify it.

Quote:
Check for wet insulation around the chimney in the attic.
Now, I realize that I don't know what is wet insulation around the chimney because I thought the wet insulation was ice memberance stick around the chimney base and roof sheathing and now I think maybe I am wroung.

Could you please tell me in details about what is wet insulation around the chimney and how to verify it is good or not ?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM  
peter101

Default Thank for your discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Peter, are you seeing any water spotting on the ceiling of the room inside the house?
I did not find any water spot on ceillings inside the house and not under roof sheathing insdie the attic during rain (mild rain).

The roof only has plain roofing paper under the single and no ice memberance in the first 3 feet even I am located in very cold area.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

You do need to check your attic insulation over that wall and around your chimney for water. You need to check it for twenty feet.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM  
peter101

Quote:
You do need to check your attic insulation over that wall and around your chimney for water. You need to check it for twenty feet.
Do you mean a water insulation and twenty feet horizontally?

What is the water insulation over the wall? If the wall is under my roof, does it have water insulation?

My house layers are as following: inside wall, air gap,black paper, wood fram, black paper, air gap, outside brick wall.

My bick chimney starts from my outside brick wall and I can not see the chimney and my outside brick wall inside the attic. I think either the chimney and the wall are outside my attic or their parts inside attic are short than the thermal insulation thickness.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Peter, what Neal was referring to was the insulation in the attic, if it is wet or if it has been wet it will have a crusty texture to it. Check on the horizontal, both side of the chimney. You will have to crawl over to the edge to check because of the slope of the roof. Also, can you see any water staining on the bottom of the roof decking where the chimney is located on the outside wall?

Quick Reply