DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > 10 post rule

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 PM  
dakuda

I am approving the posts as people make them w/pictures if it is legit. There may be a couple hour delay at the moment, but the posts are occuring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 PM  
DaveyDIY
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDIY View Post
That explains why one post I made did not show up
I didn't know about the picture 10 post requirement
I would have waited if I had known

I have seen some bad pics from spammers
I still have one post with a picture that didn't show up from when I st signed up

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM  
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDIY View Post
I still have one post with a picture that didn't show up from when I st signed up
That should be fixed now.

Give me a little bit of time and I will see if I can think of a workaround that reduces the spam while still allowing useful photos. No guarantees, but I will see what I can think of.

Edit: I made a few tweaks to the overall system. Let's see how they pan out for now.

Last edited by dakuda; 04-16-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
Give me a little bit of time and I will see if I can think of a workaround that reduces the spam while still allowing useful photos. No guarantees, but I will see what I can think of.

Edit: I made a few tweaks to the overall system. Let's see how they pan out for now.
You Da Man!
Thanks for looking at the options....

Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM  
DaveyDIY
Extreme DIY Homeowner

This is another problem
Especially when spammers hit a site

Quote:
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 34 seconds.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 AM  
Jim McClain
35yr flooring pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
I am approving the posts as people make them w/pictures if it is legit. There may be a couple hour delay at the moment, but the posts are occuring.
I been reading the rules and such. Does this mean a newb like me can post pictures now - before having 10 posts? I know that the software offers several options to control what gets posted. I think you already use automatic usergroup promotion to allow PMs after 10 posts. But as someone else said, a new member can benefit greatly by being able to post a picture of their project or problem. And as you know, some drive-by DIYers only post a few messages until their issues are solved.

So, that pretty much leaves the moderator approval method. I'm guessing that's what you're doing, according to the quote above.

As far as the 60 second wait between reporting posts, that's another variable in the admin CP. But 60 seconds isn't that bad, unless you are trying to report every single post a spammer made since they joined. It's usually not necessary to do that. The mod or admin will prob'ly check other posts a spammer made and deal with the culprit after their investigation. Letting them know about one of the spammer's posts should be sufficient.

Oh gee, too bad the 10 post rule isn't based on word count instead. I'd be well past the limit already.

R'gards,

Jim

Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 PM  
BantyMom

I understand why you have the 10-post rule, but I still want to let you know why it frustrates me.

When a person has already spent time looking for a forum, and then registered, but suddenly can't do everything (post pictures, PM the admin, etc.) until a magic number of posts has been made, it just makes it take so much more time than they thought it would.

It seems to me that pictures would be particularly helpful for this forum especially, but first a newcomer must go to the "Shop" forum and make 10 posts before they can get on with what they came here for.

I am not familiar with this vBulletin, but there must be another way to deal with it.

Just a suggestion, can it be set so that members with fewer than 10 posts have their posts/pictures reviewed by the mods online before they are posted? Or would that make it take even longer?

oh well, just a thought. I've already been online for half an hour and haven't gotten around to posting my question (I'm still looking for a list of rules other than the "Ten Commandments"). I have 5 more posts to make and then it won't matter.

Cheers,
BantyMom

Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ahh, that's why I can't figure out how to post a picture!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 276 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysia View Post
Ahh, that's why I can't figure out how to post a picture!!!
You are more than welcome to post a picture. Simply upload from your computer. On the reply screen, scroll down to where you see manage attachments and you can add up to 4 at a time.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, I did it! Thanks

Quick Reply