DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > Any ideas...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM  
ToolGuy

Hey all you new folks, and I know you're readin' this ...

What do you think? What can we and/or the web meistro do to make this forum more lively. What will most likely grab your attention and make you feel more a part of the cummunity? And be honest, we can handle it.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM  
phreaq

I think this is a great forum and have been lurking in the background reading the various posts, learning a lot from those that reply frequently.

I have posted the odd question here and there, but it's not too often I begin tackling a new project and need advice, well, not as often as my wife would like

and I rarely give advice, because it's not often I have advice to give.

so I may not be an active member, but I'm still a member

Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM  
cranbrook2
Extreme birdhouse builder

Likes Given: 1

I enjoy coming here as much as possible , The first thing i notice on this site is when someone comes on here and ask a question it gets answered pretty fast and they always get good answers. Anytime i have went to answer someones question it is always answered . We have some experts on here

I think it would be nice to see more pictures of peoples projects , such as house Reno's , indoor or outdoor projects.

John in Belgrave
[url]www.extremebirdhouse.com[/url]

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood

I'm pretty much a noob here and might not last long, but what I'd like to see is a list of quick and easy "House Tune-Ups" or maybe a bi-monthly checklist. Like last night, I saw a post on cleaning out the dryer vent. Not only is it simple but it's very useful in maintaining an efficient house and can prevent hazards. How about a blend of preventative maintenance, money/energy savings, commonly needed repairs or replacements, and vanity projects?

1. Change furnace filters
2. Replace smoke-detector batteries
3. Clean dryer vent
4. Hose out AC unit (summer)
5. Check windows for leaks

Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM  
ToolGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefood View Post
I'm pretty much a noob here and might not last long, but what I'd like to see is a list of quick and easy "House Tune-Ups" or maybe a bi-monthly checklist. Like last night, I saw a post on cleaning out the dryer vent. Not only is it simple but it's very useful in maintaining an efficient house and can prevent hazards. How about a blend of preventative maintenance, money/energy savings, commonly needed repairs or replacements, and vanity projects?

1. Change furnace filters
2. Replace smoke-detector batteries
3. Clean dryer vent
4. Hose out AC unit (summer)
5. Check windows for leaks

Hi Neighbor! Hey, looking forward to a warm, snow melting weekend, eh?

I like that idea. We have a topic called Woodworking Tips, but I think that's too specific. I'll start one now. Thanks for the tip.

[/I]

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 PM  
ToolGuy

Just thought it worth mentioning, a visitor wishes to post photos but this forum says they are too big.

3rd post at...
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3315

I'm guessing there are plenty more who run into this problem and just find a different forum. Hmmm....

[/I]

Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood

Another idea -

How about "Project Upgrades"? What are some ways one can upgrade a standard project? Maybe add something modern to a kitchen or bathroom or a special wall treatment, etc. Things that can be done for a few dollars more, while you're already tearing up the place.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 PM  
ToolGuy

With the new year seems to have come a surge of new members. Way cool I say, except for one problem. There are no guide lines. I've recently reminded several unwitting new members to 'Not hijack someone elses thread', which to me seems like a no brainer. There is one thing missing from this forum which I see in just about any other forum - a locked, sticky topic outlining the basic rules for using this forum. I think this is much needed.

[/I]

Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Good idea

While we are at it we could get everyone to at least post a welcome as they come in. That way they are not bargin through the door like a bunch of &$#&& . The upsurge most likely has to do with folks not wanting to spend money lately. They do not go out as much as before and need a way to fix things while they sit around. Mabye this is a good thing, careful what you wish for....it might come true.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM  
ToolGuy

I don't have a problem with not introducing themselves. Heck, I don't think I did till well after my 10th post. I guess I'm one of those barging in like... well, like you said. Also, I don't think it has so much to do with not wanting to spend money. The holidays are over and I'm getting plenty of calls (more than I can handle, actually), so I think it's just that DIY season has begun.

I don't want to put a negative spin on it. Fact is, I'm glad there's some excitement going on around here. And besides, I'm tired of knowing less than everybody else!

I just think there has so be some basic guidelines, or rules of forum etiquette, placed so it is hard to miss. Rules like don't use foul language, don't use all caps (yelling), and don't hijack someone else's thread. I'm sure most of those jumping in an ongoing topic to post their own slightly related question really don't mean any harm. They just haven't found any guidelines about how to use the forum, cuz there aren't any. People need guidance, plain and simple. We should have one of them fancy newfangled "Sticky" topics, or a Read Me at the top of the page, that everyone can clearly see and abide.

By the way, I'm noticing that the issue of attaching images has yet to be addressed, and wondering if it ever will be.

[/I]

Last edited by ToolGuy; 01-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply