DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > Any ideas...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Talk to the man

Quote:
I don't want to put a negative spin on it. Fact is, I'm glad there's some excitement going on around here. And besides, I'm tired of knowing less than everybody else!
I agree, you should have been around when you had 4 posts in one week...it got lonely around here, Square Eye and I would jaw it up just to get folks to say something.
The one who changes things in our little world is TXbuilder, he is the guy to PM if we could really use something. I have not seen em around much actually.
And as far as not knowing much...well I don't know what to tell you. Just kidding...You have helped a lot of folks with some answers which were questionable in my opinion, but you admitted not knowing and learned...that takes honesty and I admire it.

This is a great site to throw the ball around and learn to play the game....and help people. Posting some guidelines (and more readily available smiles)will be helpful...for the boisterous crowd.

Just My
Made in the

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with both of you, A post of rules and guidelines should definitely be posted in fact I would go a little further to include this before anyone signs up, at the same time we must be care full not to get carried away and take the fun out of it.
Having that program that automatically resizes pictures would be a asset.
I think I will email TX right now and we will see what happens.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM  
ToolGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl in Nanoose View Post
I agree with both of you, A post of rules and guidelines should definitely be posted in fact I would go a little further to include this before anyone signs up, at the same time we must be care full not to get carried away and take the fun out of it.
Having that program that automatically resizes pictures would be a asset.
I think I will email TX right now and we will see what happens.
Certainly, it wouldn't be prudent to have a bunch of rules and regulations when they're signing up. That would scare people away. I think that's why most forums use a sticky post with a New Users Pease Read Me as a title is plenty sufficent.

The program that resizes images during upload is most likely already installed on the server. GD2 is included standard with PHP, which is what's running the software for this forum. I'd be really surprised if the hosting provider doesn't have it enabled. The tools for using GD2 are included with vBulletin, the forum software. It's just a matter of puting the stuff to use.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Last edited by ToolGuy; 01-16-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well we will just have to wait and see what happends.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 PM  
ToolGuy

Okee Dokey

[/I]

Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM  
ToolGuy

Oh, and I just thunk of another thing. The 3 images limit in posts is kind of chincy. If I 'Quote' a post with 3 smilies already in it, I have to edit them out if I want to include another smiley. And people who want to post more than 3 photos just write several post to accomdate anyway. So it's not saving any bandwidth, just making it more work for the users.

[/I]

Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default See

Toolguy, all that stuff you said about computers...you lost me. I wish i knew more about em.
I'm sure Tx will be open to any suggestions, and I agree with not scaring folks off.....the less GOV the better.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 AM  
Adk

I think it's thread drift that needs to be dealt with.
If a guy asks for help with his marigolds you should NOT (not yelling) be telling him about his driveway. He probably could give a rats rear end!
BTW: using ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IS not necessarily yelling. It's quicker than using bold text. Being offended by using all caps is very childish.

As far as pictures are concerned. There are tons of *FREE* imaging hosting sites out there. There is no reason to take up bandwidth here.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 AM  
Rustedbird

The thing about pictures is, is that yes, I do understand the bandwidth issue. I lived at the end of dial up for a long time. However my new camera only goes down to 256KB. So I gotta mess with the picture to get it down to 97 KB for jpegs.

I'm not keen on free imaging sites. I managed to lose quite a few pics of my house on Picasa when I changed my addy.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 AM  
Adk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedbird View Post

I'm not keen on free imaging sites. I managed to lose quite a few pics of my house on Picasa when I changed my addy.
You need to pic a site that have some $$ backing it! If you do, the only way you will lose your pics is if they crash and are not backed up. Good sites backup very regularly.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply