DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > Any ideas...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One thing to keep in mind about picture resizing is 1- the hassle and 2- not everybody is computer savvy.
I know sometimes I just can't be bothered so I don't and new members will most likely feel the same way. All they want to do is ask questions and be able to post a picture without all the fussing on down sizing there pics.
I now don't have the problem but it has taking some time to learn.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM  
brianhughes

Default 1st impressions

Guys:

I am kind of new here but have a few observations:

While you want more community participation and user posting, most forums, and consequently internet forum etiquette in general, discourages a new posts for issues that may be addressed in an existing thread. I don’t really know how you can change this, as good internet forum community members hesitate to post until research is exhausted.

I think you have used technology well to encourage your position in some ways, but not others…

(1) I found the site via google and read through one thread, then got the boot when I tried to browse or search, as I was not a member. In this case I decided, kind of on a whim that I would “risk it” and sign up, more often I would not. I feel that, this may lead to reduced use of the site, and without being able to “try” many people will not join. Refer to what I said above, “good” forum users are supposed to lurk, then when comfortable, join and post.

I think not allowing this list to be perused by non-members probably hurts more than helps.

(2) As inspectorD knows from my intro post a day or so ago, once I joined up, the nag at the top of a new member’s screen was just enough to get me to make my first post. After which a timely response from a core member encourages community and dialog. This seems to be working for the forum.

(3) Lastly, in this very thread, I noted this post by toolguy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolGuy View Post
With the new year seems to have come a surge of new members. Way cool I say, except for one problem. There are no guide lines. I've recently reminded several unwitting new members to 'Not hijack someone elses thread', which to me seems like a no brainer. There is one thing missing from this forum which I see in just about any other forum - a locked, sticky topic outlining the basic rules for using this forum. I think this is much needed.
On Saturday during my accelerated lurking, I ran across an instance of this (I can’t seem to find the example now), but at the time I was confused, as the “Hijacker” was what we call On Topic, with a similar related issue, even if it was a different poster. This method of posting in the Appropriate thread is typical, accepted, normal list behavior, and if the poster is an experienced forum user he too will be confused by this unexpected reprimand and may leave the group.

If this modified method of forum usage is outlined somewhere I did not find it and I looked around pretty hard before my first post here.

I hope you’all don’t feel I am being too uppity offering these suggestions as such a noob to the list, but I have been in a forum or two, and kind of like this one and would like to see it succeed and grow.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default I agree

This place does have a laxidasial kind of feel to it. The regulars kind of do their own policing of the forum, however it does get confusing for everyone sometimes.
With this being a close knit group it will work for now, but having the sticky treads to cover many repeated posts is a great idea to start.
I started this thing to get some feedback, anyone is welcome to say what they think. I just hope the moderators are paying some attention. This is a fun place, and folks here like to help out. We just need to modify a bit, change is good.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-17-2008, 07:18 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
This place does have a laxidasial kind of feel to it. The regulars kind of do their own policing of the forum, however it does get confusing for everyone sometimes.
With this being a close knit group it will work for now, but having the sticky treads to cover many repeated posts is a great idea to start.
I started this thing to get some feedback, anyone is welcome to say what they think. I just hope the moderators are paying some attention. This is a fun place, and folks here like to help out. We just need to modify a bit, change is good.
I couldn't agree more

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 03-15-2008, 04:52 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The moderators on this site seem to be ..
Me

I grew very weary of the bickering going on in my private messages and the fun I used to have here kind of went sour.

I am a volunteer. TXBuilder seems to have drifted away and I am still here occasionaly. The supporting membership thing has been disappeared and the Google rating has apparently dropped. This forum was in it's prime a couple of years ago.. The housing market hadn't crashed yet. Now buying and flipping homes has all but ended and there isn't nearly as much interest in home improvement as there is in mortgage recovery.

Please, guys and gals.. Keep hitting the report icon when you see abuse on the boards. I receive an e-mail for every report individually. I have deleted threads and banned a LOT of members over reported posts.. Travelover, is a faithful post reporter and I appreciate the fact that he cares enough to do so. There are several others who report regularly and I appreciate you too! Please continue to support the site and enjoy it even for the changes that have occurred and please give a reason for reporting when you do.. Just one or two words will help, hijack, spam, flaming, nonsense, dangerous advice and duplicate are all self explanitory and I will deal with them fairly as possible.

Thanks again!

Square

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Hello again...

Thanks for stickin around Square Eye.
I remember way back when.....It was fun. Seems more like a round table around here lately.
Hope to see you around more, unfortunately I understand your reasons.

Hope Tx pays the bill.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 PM  
ToolGuy

When I first came here it was my intention to make this the official forum of MyToolbox.net. I tried with a lot of other forums but there was always a snag. Some didn't have enough traffic, some couldn't be viewed without logging in, and some wouldn't allow me to keep a link to MyToolbox.net in my signature. I never wanted to run my own forum because I don't know enough to answer most of the questions that posters would ask. Not to mention, it's just yet more work I would have to do in maintaining my site.

There are two issues here at this forum that I feel are major stumbling blocks - the lack of moderation and the difficulty of attaching images. I think the lack of a sticky post with some basic guidelines is a minor issue, but an issue just the same. I offered to moderate a long time ago and never received a reply. And the issue with attaching images could be resolved in about 10 minutes, simply by adjusting a few settings in the admin area.

For the longest time I kept a link to this forum on my site, but I've decided to follow the old saying "If you want it done right you have to do it yourself". I've been real busy the past few weeks setting up MyToolbox.net as a full fledged community based website and, of course, it includes a forum. I have it properly set up for attaching images and, needless to say, this sheriff ain't lettin' them spammers run wild on my forums.

I still prefer using someone else's forums, but I no longer see that as an option. I'll still be hanging around here if I'm still welcome, but that link in my signature leads to a site with another forum, and anyone who tries to upload a 2 Mb image of whatever format here, then tries there, well....

"and there isn't nearly as much interest in home improvement as there is in mortgage recovery..."

I don't buy that for one moment. I visit a lot of forums and they are getting DIY traffic like never before. I think it's just the opposite - with the market the way it is, more homeowners are doing their own fixing and remodeling, and they are online seeking advice.

There are some really great folks here and I really would rather just link to this forum. However, spring is just around the corner, homeowners are eager to fix stuff, and I'm ready for some heavy traffic. And if they want to upload a big .gif, .jpg, .tif or even a .png file, I wan't them to be able to. And when a spammer sneaks in I want to kick them right back out.

Anyway, I got a lot more work to do. See ya'll around!

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Last edited by ToolGuy; 03-16-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ToolGuy,

The traffic on this site is about half of what it was 2 years ago.
I see a lot of viewers but not as many as before.

MyToolbox.net could get you banned here, but you've been a good contributer and a friend to people here. I don't intend to remove anyone who genuinely wants to be a part but I'll have to disable your links.
By spamming members here, luring them to a separate forum, you have become a part of what you didn't like about this site.

As far as the photo uploads... I'm afraid Tx has put the forum on autopilot and I don't have access to those administrative features.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 AM  
ToolGuy

Yeah, I saw that coming.

Like I said, I'd rather link to this forum and save myself a lot of work. I like these forums and the people here, and was hoping to prod the webmaster into making the couple of simple changes mentioned. Oh well.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default what to say

I personally, have been a member here for almost a year..... I must say the only thing that is hard to do on here... is upload photos.. but, I found a site that will resize them so I dont have to get software that will, and it is free.... so that isnt such a big deal anymore...
I would like to see the site grow more myself.... I think I have worn poor glennjanie out.... I just hope that this suggestions forum wont hurt a bunch of feelings..... I enjoy the advice you guys give and frankly.... I probably wouldnt be able to fix things around my house without your advice because I cant really afford to hire someone to do it.... so... hopefully the suggestions will be taken lightly from both guests and moderators.....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply