DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > Better search engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM  
edlank

Default Better search engine

I have tried numerous searches and find the search engine pretty limited. A search of a phrases always gives me results with any of the words no matter what quotations, + signs or punctuation I try to use. I see no way to force results to include all the words in any order or all the words verbatim. I therefore get hundreds of results for every pretty specific phrase, and from what I can see, NONE is even close. This forces users to post new threads when one may already exist that answers our question perfectly, but we are unable to find it. I strongly suggest there be an improved search window, with more use of quotation marks, AND, OR, and other operators. I think this will improve the utility of the site. Even the FAQ and help features are unhelpful. This site looks much like ArboristSite and WeekendFreedomMachines, both of which seem to default to searching for a phrase, not ANY of the words. If someone could determine the search logic and explain it, I would be appreciative. Better yet would be to make it default to phrase searches, or allow quotations to force phrase searches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlank View Post
I have tried numerous searches and find the search engine pretty limited. ...................

I use the Google site search option . Just type in "Search terms" SPACE "Site: http://www.houserepairtalk.com/"

Example: leaking window Site: http://houserepairtalk.com

This will search only this site and use the same search logic as a regular Google search

Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM  
tonybill

Default hmmm

hmmm its right travelover, through your way is correct

Quick Reply