DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > Ideas/Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 AM  
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2themax View Post
I used to hang around this forum ALOT!!! but for whatever reason, I have a horrible time staying logged in and once I am logged in I often get booted out as soon as I click on the new posts button, All of my pics are gone from my gallery, and I have slowly started to redownload them from my posts on here but, again, oftentimes when I click on something I get booted.... I have tried from several different computers thinking maybe it was my laptop but it seems to happen everywhere.... I pretty much always got my questions answered, although sometimes I would have to say... ok, put it in sequence that my pretty little brain can handle... lol.... I loved the forum, but it really irritates me alot when i have to relog-in constantly.... I sent sent a message through the contact us link a while back but have not heard anything from it..... otherwise... this site got me through a lot while I tried to do things and I have not worked on things in a while because I havent found another site that I felt that the posters were as knowledgeable as they are on this site.

The first thing that I would try is a 'hard refresh' of the browser when you on our page. Press Control and F5 at the same time, and let it reload the page. That is supposed to refresh your cookies (the likely culprit) and all of the images that the site uses.

I see 26 pictures in your gallery. Was there more? It may be a permissions thing on my end that I can fix if I can see them and you cannot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

I have tried teh hard reset... sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.... as far as pics go, the ones in my gallery are the ones that I have gone through my posts and downloaded and then reuploaded. I will continue to try the hard reset as time permits. I really love this site!!!

And thanks guys for the quick replies as always!!!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM  
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2themax View Post
I have tried teh hard reset... sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.... as far as pics go, the ones in my gallery are the ones that I have gone through my posts and downloaded and then reuploaded. I will continue to try the hard reset as time permits. I really love this site!!!

And thanks guys for the quick replies as always!!!!!
If you are being logged off, that is most certainly an issue with your cookies. You could manually search for all cookies from this site and delete them. Most browsers have a cookie search function.

I apologize about the gallery, as I am unsure what has happened since my arrival here.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 151 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Default How about a glossary?

There's a lot of specific language used in the trades; and there are regional differences. it might compliment this site nicely if there was a place to go to check up on a word or phrase that was new to me.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 PM  
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
There's a lot of specific language used in the trades; and there are regional differences. it might compliment this site nicely if there was a place to go to check up on a word or phrase that was new to me.
I like the idea. However, I will admit that I am not very well versed in the language of the trades. If someone were to make a list of what they know, I would be more than willing to compile everything in one place.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default jargon

Well, for the pro's it not like in the books.
This may help,http://www.homebuildingmanual.com/Glossary.htm
And that is only a start. terminology for the same thing sometimes changes with geographical locations.
What I call a "rim joist", a guy in Cali calls it a "band joist"....same thing. And yet another tradesperson will call it "outside box". Still the same thing...
And to complicate it even further, if you extend the "rim joist" over the foundation point into a cantilever (extension), it then becomes a "header".
Basically still the same thing.

Starting with the link as a sticky may help. That is an awful lot of work to rewrite the o'l dictionary.

Just My
Made in the

Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 151 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Lots of work; probably true. Maybe simpler if there was one for each of the major categories on the site. Still a lot of work but more distributed.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM  
David Roy

I am fairly new to forums, so I don't want to upset anyone. I do however have one problem:
Does anyone review the posts for relevance and/or age of the posts? I've noticed that some of the posts are more than a couple years old. Also, some posts aren't relevant to the thread topic. I think that it would be easier to search through threads for help on a subject if the threads were cleaned up occasionally. Does anyone do that?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM  
SJNServices

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had noticed that you have a blogs link but when I click on it its just the home page. Same thing with some of the other links. I thought it would be neat to have the blogs link go to blogs that members of this forum have. I think it would offer some great insight to the people of this forum. What do you think?

Steve

[url=http://www.SteveJNichols.com]My Website - SteveJNichols.com[/url]
[url=http://bent-nail.blogspot.com]My Blog - Sticks & Stones[/url]

Last edited by SJNServices; 01-08-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am working to develop them. I'll make an announcement when I have it done. Thanks for bringing back to my attention.

Tags
diy, home, q&a

Quick Reply