DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > HouseRepairTalk Website Help > Log Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default Log Out

I've notice this problem since becoming a member but, never bothered to post about it.
I just figured it was particular to me and my computer but, when I log out of the forum using the Log Out tab at the top of the page in the blue section it tells me there was an error logging out.
However, if I use the Log Out in the tan area of this forum it logs me out w/o any error message.

Has anyone else noticed this or is just something about me and/or my computer and settings?

I've become acustomed to using the tan log out option but, just thought I'd mention it to see what's up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:15 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default yea

I noticed also, but never really thought to much about it as long as I could log out. I figured it was just a tech problem when they wrote the code?
I just stick to what I know...or don't know.
Thanks for bringing it up though, now maybe someone will fix it.

Just My
Made in the

Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM  
dakuda

I'll look at it this weekend. Looking at the links, I think I can see the problem. I don't log out as I am the only person who uses this computer, so I never noticed it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Probably the easiest fix would be to remove the log out option in the blue section. Sounds like we've all stumbled up this at one point in time and have used the other log out tab.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:52 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I click on the "Log Out" command in the beige bar, it asks me if I'm sure I want to log out.

When I click on the "Log Out" command in the blue bar, it opens a small window, which says "Undefined" and gives me the two options of clicing on an "OK" button or a "Cancel" button.

I think the "Log Out" command in the blue bar is just confused and maybe a bit overwhelmed.

I recommend just clicking on the "Close Window" button at the top right corner of the screen and letting the website software figure out that you're gonzo/history all by itself.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Congrats on the new look and the removal of the disfunctional "Log Out" button.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Huh?

What happened.....nice job.

Just My
Made in the

Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

Good job, except....... it appears as though I have logged out, so then I go to log in and it doesnt matter what I type it tells me I have entered the wrong info and have 4 attempts left.... but... then the new post button is available and shows that I am really logged in.....

sooooo...... maybe I am the oddball.... oh yeah, that is right, we already knew that..... lol

Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the new forum looks good.

But, I think it would also be a good idea to add a "Cleaning" forum.

Cleaning is the one thing we ALL do. And, everyone in here will agree that more malfunctions are corrected by a good cleaning than any other single repair procedure.

And, believe it or not, there's a lot to know about cleaning that most people don't.

Here's an example:

Look on the usage instructions for a Rug Doctor or Easy Off carpet shampoo'er, and they'll both tell you to use 1 to 2 fluid ounces of their carpet shampoo for each gallon of water in your solution tank. I have a TMI carpet extractor, and I use Chem Spec "Formula 77" carpet soap. But, it doesn't matter which professional carpet cleaning soap you buy, the vast majority of them will tell you to use 1 to 2 fluid ounces of carpet soap per FIVE gallons of water in your solution tank. That means that following Rug Doctor's or Easy Off's instructions will result in your spraying 5 times as much soap on your carpet than a professional would.

Now, just like car engines are rated according to the number of cylinders they have and their horsepower, vaccuum motors are rated according to the number of "stages" they have and their "water lift" expressed in inches of height at sea lever. A typical Hoover vaccuum cleaner will have a single stage motor, and will typically lift a column of water about 30 inches high at sea level. A good quality wet/dry shop style vaccuum cleaner or an rental quality carpet shampoo'er will typically have a two stage vaccuum motor that will lift a column of water about 65 inches high. Entry level professional carpet extractors will have either one three stage vaccuum motor or 2 two stage vaccuum motors piped in parallel, and either of those will lift a column of water about 90 inches high. My TMI extractor has two three stage vaccuum motors in parallel, and it's specifications say that it'll lift a column of water 118 inches, but I've never checked to confirm. And you can get better equipment with three three stage vaccuum motors or gasoline powered truck mounted equipment that will have 6 or 8 three stage vaccuum motors that will suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Now, this is important because the more suction you have, the more soiled water you lift out of the carpet, and the cleaner the carpet will be when it's dry. That is, the more dirty water you get out, the more dirt you remove, and so the cleaner the carpet will be when dry.

But, with the rental shampoo'ers, not only are you putting 5 times as much soap down on your carpet, but the lowly two stage vaccuum you're counting on to get all that soiled soapy water out of the carpet just isn't up to the job. It's only going to remove about half the water from the carpet that a good quality professional extractor would.

So, what happens with the rental machines is that you put 5 times as much soap into the carpet than the professonal would, and you recover half as much soapy soiled water than the professional would, and that means when your carpet dries it'll have much more residual soap in it than the professionally cleaned carpet would.

But, why is that a problem?

It's cuz as the carpet dries, the water will evaporate and the soap will form a thin film over every fiber in the carpet which dirt will stick to, making vaccuuming much less effective at removing that dirt. In fact, about the only way to remove that dirt from your carpet is by shampooing it again to dissolve the soap film. And, the usual result is the home owner is impressed with how clean he got the carpet, judging by how filthy the water in the recovery tank was.

Of course, he's only fooling himself. The only reason the carpet was that dirty to begin with was because of the residual soap film on it from the last time he rented a carpet shampoo'er. And, all he's done by shampooing his carpet is replace that residual soap film. His carpet will continue to get dirtier faster than it otherwise would because dirt will stick to the dried soap residue all over his carpet.

So, the moral of the story is that if you feel compelled to follow Rug Doctor's or Easy Off's instructions, and use the amout of soap they recommend, then go over your carpet a second or third time using just clean water in the solution tank to remove as much of that extra soap as possible. That way, dirt won't stick to your carpet and so normal vaccuuming will be effective in cleaning the carpet.

And, of course, a suspicious person might think that Rug Doctor or Easy Off were telling people to use excessive amounts of soap SO THAT they'd become dependant on renting carpet shampooers to keep their carpets clean.

And, I know there is excessive soap left behind by rental carpet shampooers because I can tell right away when a tenant has rented a carpet shampoo'er to clean the carpet in his suite before vacating. When I go in there, I end up going through defoamer like crazy to keep the suds down in my recovery tank, and it takes 3 or 4 passes before I remove enough soap from that carpet that it doesn't foam up my recovery tank.

So, what I do now is just tell tenants that if they intend to rent a carpet shampooer to clean the carpet with, that I will provide the soap and defoamer so they don't have to buy a half gallon of the stuff and only use a bit of it. What I give them is my Formula 77 soap diluted with 5 parts water. I tell them that my soap isn't as thick and doesn't foam up as much, but cleans just as well. Works for both me and the tenants.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-27-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cleaning forum sounds like a great idea. Glad you all are liking the changes. Trying to make this site as easy to use and clean as possible.

Quick Reply