DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Advantch subfloor issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM  
diegodog

Likes Given: 1

Default Advantch subfloor issues

I am building a house for my parents and have run into an issue with 3/4 Advantech tongue and groove subfloor. The tongue and groove will not go go together on any of the sheets. After attempting to press them together by hand I went the hammer route with no luck. They will not even start. It appears the tongue is bigger than the groove (or the same size)

I am in Maine so it is cold and damp. Its been sitting outside, tarped and in the original cardboard packaging for about 3 weeks while I built the walls and placed the trusses.

Am I missing something here? Did I get a bad batch of Advantech? Did weather swelled it up (surprising if so as no swelling and warping is Advantech's entire purpose)?

Any help from the hive would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 744 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

There is alway a chance of a bad batch, a call to the supplier will confirm as there would be more than one stack and they would already know about it.
The normal is to glue it down and do not glue the last few inches so as not to get glue in the tongue and grove. Always start with the tongue facing away from the work are so when the next sheet goes down the tongue is going into the groove of the sheet that is nailed down. Throw a chunk of 2x6 in front of it and hit it into place with a 10 lb sludge hammer. It's normal to have 18 + - for a gap. Make sure all sheets are right way down.

Quick Reply