DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Anyone good at building stairs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49 AM  
lightsareout

Default Anyone good at building stairs?

I really hope this is the correct section for this post.

I'm working on finishing off part of my basement and need to replace the 60 year old stairs. Some of the treads are split and unsafe and there are no riser boards to make it look nice; just a sheet of particle board tacked up on the underside.

The current stringers are 2x8s, I would replace them but the issue is they are cemented in the floor and I don't want to go the route of busting out concrete just to put in the steps. The 2x8s are not cut like a traditional stringer. There is a block nailed to the stringer that the tread is attached to. These blocks are pulling way of course and are in the way of installing a nice riser board. Is there way to calculate out new 2x12 stringers (i'm thinking 3 for 32inch wide treads) and attach them to the current stringers that are cemented into the floor? And then put in pine treads and risers.

I can post pictures later tonight if it would help. I hope my description is easy to understand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 812 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

When the bottom of the stringers are in concrete you probably have risers of different hights, there is lots you can do to fix them up but any one that does this kind of work would just cut them at the floor and build new ones.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stair Calculator - Layout Stair Stringer Headroom Rise Run Baluster

He's right about the stringers may come out differant.
One thing to always check is how level the floor is where the bottoms going to sit. Out of level and the stringers could be cut differant or a form made and self leveling compound can be pored into the form to get it level.
Any way to make those stairs wider?
Once the treads are cut and test fitted your going to have to cut a space in the bottom of them to fit a 2 X 4 or 2 X 6. It will keep the stringers from moving and give you a place to Tap Con screw the stringers to the floor.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply