DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Basement Window supporting 2 joists

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM  
TJ22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am open to removing it all together. Could I just pull the window and and frame it in with dimension lumber? Maybe all treated 2x8? Since the block is 8" this is the biggest I could fit at least as framing, them header could be bigger if needed.

The deck was installed when the house was built.

I think I may see where some of the load it going. The deck joists and the floor joists are nailed together. The floor joists are sitting on the sill and the deck joists are also sitting on the steel angle (about 3.75" x 3.5") above the window that holds the brick.

Could this be why the sill has not deflected too much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

That would be the quick fix. the steel lentil dosn't appear to extend past the window frame. So I would remove the sash and leave the frame there and frame it in. Treated lumber in this area may not be a bad idea as the deck joists could bring water into this area. 2x8s are only 7 1/4" so it may easier to build with 2x4s twice. No header neaded, just put studs under the joists and two studs under the edge of the window above and two 2x4 blocks in the floor space for the window above.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 AM  
TJ22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just to clarify remove window and in its place add 4 vertical members: one under each joist and 4 under the edge of the above window? I wasn't sure what you meant by "two 2x4 blocks in the floor space for the window above."

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

2 below the edge of the window and at least one peice above that between the top of the wall and the floor sheeting.

Quick Reply