DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Can I do this??? Post and beam question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Hmmm

Let me ponder that one....well, you would still need to ask the engineer. Every home is different, except for the ones that where built the same...hehe.
There are to many issues which are particular to that type of question, and without being there to see it we really should not give advice.
Some questions that come to mind...
How big is the joist span? Loads above, where do any point loads from above fall.
What condition are the joists and beam in? Checks, decay, bends, crushing points, plumber cuts in the right place.
What type of footings are underneath the slab? Now all the weight is at one point instead of spread out over three.
What condition is the foundation in? Settlement, cracks....wet.

I could go on some more...but the best thing is as Square Eye suggested...the engineer, to see it up close.

It is doable...but the steel sounds about right with that headroom issue.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Not going to do it.

I talked to my old boss, who runs a millwright company and based on the beam being a w 8x18 (it was stamped on the beam, just didn't look hard enough) the max span for the beam is where it is now 11', He said that boxing in the beam would make it weaker. the other problem that he saw would be in the deflection. since the beam is already under pressure from the first floor, I would have to jack it up to preload the beam and new posts. He didn't think that trying it was a good Idea and after talking it over with my wife we decided that we would leave them and start the framing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply