DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Cutting An Opening In An Exterior Wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM  
dbone

Default Cutting An Opening In An Exterior Wall

hello,

I want to cut a window opening in an exterior wall. I'm good with the header size. The concern is that there is a 2x6 cross member running from the top corner of the wall down to a stud at the middle of the of the wall. there is another one on the other side of the wall running down to the bottom the a stud, two over. The exterior of the studs are notched out so that the 2x6 is flush with the stud on the outside. I understand that this 2x6 is to add horizontal support to the structure---------- can i cut this to put in a window? I will put 1/2 plywood shearing on the inside of the wall as a subsitue to cutting the 2x6------- anyone out there know what i'm trying to do? and am I ok to do this??

dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 11:34 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Default Sorry

Welcome... Seeing as how you live in CA...home of the earth quake, I would have to say no. Then of course you could use what is called a shear wall. It is a premanufactured wall to give you the shear you may need . Try www.simpson strongtie or better yet contact your local building dept and ask if they want an engineers report for your area.
I wish it was cut and dry ...there are to many unknowns to give you a cut it or not answer.

That's why there are experts ...out standing in a field...or something like that.

Let us know ....

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply