DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > foundation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM  
helio905

Default foundation

hello everyone, I have recently bought A home. It hase fire damage but is still a very nice home. Now that I have bought it I realized the mid of the floor has sunk about 4". After looking undernieth I saw several botlle jacks on the floor studs. This is a box house so how do I jack the floor back up without collapsing the ext. walls. Any ideas would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 PM  
ToolGuy

My best advice is to hire a pro.

There are plenty of things you can do to fix up the house, but Jacking it up 4 inches is not a do it yoruself project. The house could fall on you and really ruin your day.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM  
helio905

Thanks for the reply toolguy. But I can not afford a pro. I can pull the subfloor up to keep from getting crushed. I am just wondering is there a danger of the walls and roof caving in? Only the middle needs raised the footing and 2/6's are level at the ext. walls. I have pictures but the forum says the are to big. I wish I could get them to you. I am not a expert but I realy don't think it is a major problem. I wish I could call a pro but since I can not any ideas would be helpful. Thank you toolguy

Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM  
ToolGuy

Nothing is going to cave in. What you need to do is get a length of 4x4 or 4x6 (even better), some bottle jacks like the ones under there now, and some 12" pieces of 2x12 to put under the jacks to distribut the weight, and the length of 4x6 across the underside of the joists that need lifting.

What is under there now? Are the bottle jacks that you see directly supporting the joists, or is there a beam down the center?

Ideally, you would either use the existing beam or put one there if there isn't one, pour footings and place posts about every 4 to 6 feet. I think I can safely assume the space isn't heated, in which case the footings should be set below the frost line. Doing it right is no small task.

[/I]

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM  
mudmixer

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Also, take a look at a possible cause for the 4" settlement and how to make the repair permanent.

Usually, the soil in a crawl space may be the worst around and may just be rotten wood, loose dirt and drywall scraps.

If you go through the trouble of jacking things up, make sure you have a large enough (width and thickness) footing under them to spread out the load enough.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 PM  
helio905

yes toolguy, the bottle jacks are directly on the 2/6 joist also they have some car stands on the joist. To me it looks like the silinders on the 3 joist busted and the joist fell. Plus they busted one of the joist with the head of the jack. Do I put new brick and release the preasure on the jacks so I can put a 4/4 to keep from busting the 2/6. Also note that only about 4 joist have droped.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Helio:
Yes you can raise the 4 joists like ToolGuy was talknig about. The 2 X 6 joists were too small to handle the load and may have been made of native timber that has not been properly dried.
Jacking it up with the beam will make the floor much less springy when you walk across it.
Glenn

Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 PM  
ToolGuy

Mudmixer makes a good point, if you go through all this trouble you should make it a permanent repair. There's a lot I don't know about what you are doing. Is there a load bearing wall on top? What is under the house now? There are so many things to consider.

All of us here want you to have a successful project. It would be good to see some photos. Maybe you can upload them to PhotoBucket.com, then add the image to your post or give us a link.

Ideally, we'd see both below the floor and what's on top of it, to better assess your situation.

[/I]

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 AM  
helio905

ok toolguy, i went to photobucket and uplaoded my pics. I am not good at links so just go to there home page and search for helio905. I just put what I thought would be useful to you but I have alot more pics of the house. If you need a pic of something spec. just let me know and I can run over to the house and take it. The pic of the living room is where the fall is just under the intirior wall. There is no room above this and in the attic it does not look bowed in. It may not mean anything but I can shake that wall fairly easy. I should also tell you that the back half of the house was a addon and the foundation under it is in great shape. solid as a rock. and the addon is studded that is where the upstairs room is. thanks alot toolguy

Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 AM  
ToolGuy

If I may take the liberty and make sure everyone here can see...

[/I]

Quick Reply