DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > foundation leaking.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 PM  
eilkka

Block walls . Floor is not floating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM  
raysmythe

I am also not a mason or any kind of expert, but from my trial and error experience, I would have to guess that water is moving eastward and penetrating the west wall through joints.
One fix would be to install drainage tile on the west side of your house that diverts this excess ground water around the north and south sides to the east side, where it would go if your house were not in the way.
Another fix would be to install "gutters" into the floor which drain into the sump. This requires purchase of one of the vinyl waterproofing systems and following manufacturer instructions.
I would start with the first choice, since it takes nature into account and simply helps the water to get where it's trying to go.
A third choice is to rebuild the foundation wall. If the house is old, just pulling the blocks down and resetting them with modern mortar could do the trick. If I did this, I'd also add the tile to make it last longer, since water will always try to flow in its natural direction. Just look at the grand canyon.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 PM  
1jackguy

If the road has a ditch get it lowered . If you have block wall foundation try a product called throseal , drylock is to thin of a product.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

imn-s-hfo, the best place for drylock is on the shelf in the apron/vest store,,, thoroseal is a good product used in the right situation,,, nothing works well IF you use anyone's product incorrectly,,, there's nothing you can apply inside to stop an exterior leak - if there were, we pro's would be using it ! kthere are materials that can be applied to interior surfaces to stop leaks from appearing inside however the damage will still be taking place inside the walls.

dick - what happened to the bugatti veyron ? still in the shop ??????

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Two coats of Thoroseal are even better if the second is applied the next day and the wall is sprayed just prior to application.

itsreallyconcrete - Regarding the Bugatti, I don't have it since the $250,000 down payment and an unknown price in the future plus a 2 or 3 year wait does make sense for anyone but VW/Porsche that owns Bugatti. - When a set of tires is $25,000 and you have to wait a month or two to have then made, I think I will resurrect my 1952 Ford Crestliner 2 door HT. - Henry Ford would be proud because it was a flathead V8.

Dick

Last edited by mudmixer; 02-22-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply