DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Foundation repair questions ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM  
crocket

Default Foundation repair questions ??

Looking to buy a rancher home with foundation repairs done 15 months ago by a local contractor. The windows and sliding doors in the room above function properly but I am concerned about the quality of workmanship. Any opinions would be most appreciated.

gail-034.jpg   gail-040.jpg   gail-037.jpg   gail-048.jpg  

Last edited by crocket; 10-07-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM  
crocket

more pics of foundation

gail-033.jpg   gail-039.jpg   gail-051.jpg   gail-047.jpg   gail-062.jpg  

Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 859 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

The repair looks good but I am no expert. Did they solve the water problem at the same time? The insulation in the floor should not have paper on it. Vapour barier is always on the warm side and the cold side need to be vented.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 AM  
crocket

I was so intent with concern about the repairs that I didn't notice those other marks on the bottom row of block. The floor seems very dry and it has a layer of white plastic covering it.

Thank you for responding.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the repairs pictured are anything but "good." To someone accustomed to performing sloppy work, they may be good. We all have different quality standards.

The concrete blocks show many debonded joints, a lot of the mortar is poorly/sloppily applied (as if done by someone not trained or skilled in masonry), and the wooden stake protruding from one of the horizontal joints doesn't belong there. The overall repair appears too haphazard, lacking any logical sequence or format. But if you are happy with the work, that's what counts most.

The last block stemwall foundation I repaired had the owner commenting during his final inspection that he couldn't see where the repairs had been performed.

Quick Reply