DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > HillyBilly special lean to lea to temp wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM  
kevindropboxx

Likes Given: 2

It has taken me all day to learn to use a photo program. [to type in some words!]

I know it is hard to tell what is going on with all of the extra wood. I want to make sure I don't take down something that will make the roof cave in.

Im going to post the photos one at a time so I can comment.

Up first.
This is the problem area. Where it says hillbilly it is extra wood nailed on.

problem-area.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM  
kevindropboxx

Here we have the 'ceiling joist'. It holds up the old roof. It is rotten and is being held up by a piece of wood for the drop ceiling, which is resting on rotten beams.

ceiling-joist.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM  
kevindropboxx

Here are the rafters stage Left (if you were on stage looking at the audience).

I don't know what is going on here. Is that one piece of vertical wood holding up the entire roof?

rafters-stage-l.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 PM  
kevindropboxx

Here is stage Right. Notice the vertical piece of wood that rests on the old roof.

rafters-stage-r.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM  
kevindropboxx

In order to build a temp wall, as I understand it, I am supposed to support the rafters with 2x4's cut at an angle on one end and a bottom plate on the other.

The old roof stage Left still has old roof on both sides of the 'ceiling joist' (which is rotten on one end and being held up by wood from the drop ceiling) But it doesn't look like the old roof on the front side is serving purpose at all.

Do I support the ceiling joist and remove the front part of the old roof, so I can build a temp wall by affixing 2x4's to the rafters?

What do I do with the rotten ceiling joist? It isn't supporting anything except old roof boards AND that one piece of wood stage Left.

Are there two pieces of wood holding up the roof?

Here is the old roof stage Left.

Im confused again!

old-roof-sl-still-bith-sides.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 PM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Photo in post 25, some 6 or 8 ft of old sheeting has been removed to give a veiw of above, did you do that? Can you continue to remove the rest. peice by peice leaving anything that lools like it might be critical to the suport?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 PM  
beachguy005

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I think what you need to be looking at first is the foundation. Repairing a roof that has a rotting house under it is a waste of time and money.
You should find a good framing contractor and if you don't want to pay him to do the work, pay him to consult.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 PM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy005 View Post
I think what you need to be looking at first is the foundation. Repairing a roof that has a rotting house under it is a waste of time and money.
You should find a good framing contractor and if you don't want to pay him to do the work, pay him to consult.
Normally I would agree with this but after looking at the photos of the house sitting on blocks and the fact the floor is held up with a rotton beam and the only way to to get to that beam is to dig your way in. The whole section is a house of cards. There is very little holding this roof together. Would you really suggest to put someone under this house in this condition.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I must of missed where I made the recommendation. Irrespective of your interpretation of my comment, foundation work can be, and is, done safely.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 265 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 95

First off the live oaks IMO make the whole project worth doing.

Trying to piece together your photos in my head and it appears the wall that has the piece in it marked “Remove” with the cup hooks screwed into the bottom is a load bearing wall that ends at the rotted post marked “Replace”. If I’m seeing it right the short rafters are all carried on that wall. (Best shown in post #4)

That wall I only count 4 studs and it has the opening into the kitchen without much of a header. When you look under the floor where the building sets on the block piers is there a beam or more piers following along under that wall for support?

I agree with Neal start with the strapping that the drywall was attached to and get all that cleared out. I would save it as you can use it over later maybe. Then I would take a sawzall and start removing that old roofing that has no function one piece at a time to get that weight out and open it up.
Then that wall I was just talking about. I don’t think I would take that beam out that’s rotted on the end. As its holding up the middle of the building and I don’t know what you have to jack against to support that load. I would be tempted to go back that beam until it was solid and put a good strong post in there with support under it all the way to the ground then cut off the rotted end and sister some new stuff to it. Just not as hillbilly as the older repairs. Hopefully there is a good beam under that wall and you can add a few studs into that wall also.

Quick Reply